Input/output error in Sequential File stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

durgaps
Participant

Input/output error in Sequential File stage

Post by durgaps »

I am using a SEQ FILE Stage. I am getting the following error while I am writing the output to the sequential file.
ds_seqclose: error in 'close()' - Input/output error
Any idea why this is happening.
Durga Prasad
durgaps
Participant

Re: Input/output error in Sequential File stage

Post by durgaps »

durgaps wrote:I am using a SEQ FILE Stage. I am getting the following error while I am writing the output to the sequential file.
ds_seqclose: error in 'close()' - Input/output error
Any idea why this is happening.
Can this be a space-related issue?
Durga Prasad
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It might be that you lack write permission to the parent directory and so can not modify the date/time modified and date/time accessed for the file that you have been writing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
durgaps
Participant

Post by durgaps »

Thanks for the reply Ray. This is happening every 3-4 times I am running the code. And yes I am able to write the file without any issues and then all of a sudden this problem crops up. So there is no issues with the access permission to the directory.

Thanks,
Durga Prasad
talk2shaanc
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by talk2shaanc »

looking at the msg i wd make three guesses
1. permission on the file
2. space problem
3. u are trying to write a file twice in same job or ur trying to read a file and write to the same file, in the job
Shantanu Choudhary
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Let me ask this question; even when there is a problem reported with close() do the data all get written to the file?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Have you checked the avaialbility of space if you are more doubtfull in it?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
durgaps
Participant

Post by durgaps »

Hi Ray/Kumar,

When there is a Close() error, the job aborts, hence the file doesnt get written.

There is enough space on the server, so there shouldnt be any space-related issue.

Thanks,
Durga Prasad
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

As after the job abort it is clearing the partial file from the dir, it will be showing there is free space.

Just when the job is running keep an eye on space i.e. after each 2/3 secs, check the space available.
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
durgaps
Participant

Post by durgaps »

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Apparently the problem has ceased to occur now. The only difference being a soft mount was used for the server instead of a hard mount. After the hard mount was done the I/O problems has stopped. But the root-cause as to why the error was occuring is still unknown. May be the experts on this group should be able to shed some light on this issue.

Thanks again.
Durga Prasad
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

durgaps wrote:The only difference being a soft mount was used for the server instead of a hard mount.
Hmm... when you say 'for the server' do you mean where you installed DataStage? If so, I was under the impression it wouldn't even allow something like that. :?

If not that, then curious what you really meant by that statement.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Could it be that you only had read permissions to the soft mount? Or that the mount was not even there when the failures occurred?