job performance

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

job performance

Post by samsuf2002 »

Hi all , i am running a parallel job as
[seq----transformer----sqlserver]

i have divided the input file data as 3 million / run (total rows 12 million in original file) though each file has same meta data , every time i run the performance get reduce like
1st runs statistics is 5000 rows/sec
2nd run--------------1000 rows/ sec
3rd run --------------500 rows/sec
4th run --------------250 rows/sec

i dnt knw y the performance is getting reduce for the successive runs can any one plz let me knw why this happens and how can we increase the performance.

Thanks in advance
[/code]
Last edited by samsuf2002 on Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
hi sam here
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

How did you divide the input file into 3millionrows/run? Did you use any constraint in the Transformer?
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The larger the SQL Server table, the longer updates take. Use the bulk loader to append new rows. The problem is not in DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

Kris i am using sample stage to split the file in a seperate job.

Thanks Ray for ur reply since i am using SQL server i dont think we have any bulk load stage for SQL server and i am doing initial load so i am loading the data in empty table can u plz suggest some more.

thanks
hi sam here
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Can you partition your SQL server table to reduce the slowdowns as the table grows?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Can you partition SQL Server tables? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Craig - I wasn't sure until I checked it on Google, and MS marketing blurb said that you can; so it must be true.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Partitioning has changed a lot in 2005. It is starting to look more like Oracle and other databases. Before that is was ugly. It is sort ugly now in the way it picks a partition. Not real flexible.
Mamu Kim
samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

Can any one tell how exactly we can partition ,are we talking about partitioning in SQLserver stage like hash.... etc. help me understand
hi sam here
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

They are talking about SQL Server partitioning where you break one table up into to many tables but they still act as one. You usually want to break a table by either a reporting field or a date field or both. Some people want to partition by state or country for reporting purposes. Another way would be to have a partition for each month based on sales date or some date field. ETL can usually load into one partition therefore the load times increase because the one partition table is smaller than one huge table. It also helps in archiving because you can just remove one partition.
Mamu Kim