migration from datastage 5.2 to datastage 7.5

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sarven
Participant

migration from datastage 5.2 to datastage 7.5

Post by sarven »

Hi,
I need to migrate datastage 5.2 jobs to datastage 7.5. What is the process involved and how do we need to do it? what kind of errors occur during this process? Will it be in datastage parallel or server jobs? I know that there was no concept of parallel jobs in 5.2. the server is UNIX. Pls help me out.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I assume you mean migrating Server jobs from 5.2 to Server jobs at 7.5x on a machine that also has PX. Is this what you are asking?
sarven
Participant

Post by sarven »

It is migrating 5.2 server jobs to 7.5 server jobs on UNIX. we have to run the jobs in UNIX. 7.5 itself is a combination of server and parallel. now we have to migrate to 7.5 server jobs.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The migration from 5.2 server jobs to 7.x server jobs is quite smooth and most of your jobs should just keep working. If you are migrating to a completely new server you will have to verify that the file directory locations are there and the database connectivity.

Once migrated you can choose to start using parallel jobs. You can do this by converting just the very highest volume jobs across or using parallel jobs for new job development. You do not need to convert all your server jobs if the performance of them is okay.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Will you be upgrading the 5.2 server to 7.x or setting up a new 7.x server on a different machine? That will dictate the steps involved.

For the former, it should be as simple as installing the 7.x software 'over the top of' the 5.2 installation. Upgrading will be automagic. For the latter, install the 7.x server and create the projects you'll need. Export them from the 5.2 server and import them on the 7.x server, that process will also upgrade things.

If you'll need to connect to both a 5.x and a 7.x server for a period of time, install the Multi-Client Manager along with the 7.x client. Make sure you install it to a different directory than the 5.x client or all will be for naught.

That's it - at a very high level, obviously. Best to test this all out first and make sure you have adequate backups. Read the Installation and Upgrade Guide. Ask more questions.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers