Problem while Bulk insertion of records

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

punar_deep
Participant

Problem while Bulk insertion of records

Post by punar_deep »

Hi Everyone,

In one of my jobs i am inserting or updating the records on the basis of some conditions.In order that duplicate records should not be going to the target table again and again and generating fatal errors.I am using the "Update then Insert" Upsert Mode.It is working fine when the no of records is less.But if the no of records is very high that means when i am doing a bulk load then in case of that its again logging fatal erorrs in the job log if it is getting some duplicate rows for insertion.Can anyone please guide me on this.

Thanks in advance,
samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

cud u plz let us know the job design and error log
hi sam here
ukyrvd
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ukyrvd »

did you check the INSERT sql and UPDATE sql code that was generated and if that has correct key settings??

Update then Insert--Upsert mode-- will only try to update the record if it finds the duplicate key combination in the table otherwise it will happily tries to insert the record!!
thank you
- prasad
meena
Participant

Post by meena »

Hi punar_deep,
Post the error you are getting.
punar_deep
Participant

Post by punar_deep »

Ya i have checked the same and what i am doing is that if the record already exists in the target table i am jus updating the key columns and if this is not the case then i am inserting the record.So i don't think there is any problem with SQL queries.
punar_deep
Participant

Post by punar_deep »

Hi,
I am getting the following error:

APT_CombinedOperatorController(1),2: [DataDirect][ODBC Sybase Wire Protocol driver][SQL Server]Attempt to insert duplicate key row in object 'rep_fin_asset' with unique index 'rep_fin_asset_UIX1'
ukyrvd
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ukyrvd »

the unique key columns mentioned in 'rep_fin_asset_UIX1' index definition are part of the key columns in the query??
thank you
- prasad
punar_deep
Participant

Post by punar_deep »

Yes they are part of the primary key and i have handled the same properly in my query itself.
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

1. Did you take care of properly assigning key columns in the DataStage?
2.Also, are you sure that you don't have any duplicates coming in from source? It could be possible that you are trying to insert a new row twice since it is coming from the source. Try using a Remove Duplicates Stage on the key column before you load data into the table. I had a same issue here at my client site and that is how it was taken care of. It might be possible in your case too.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
ukyrvd
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ukyrvd »

punar_deep wrote:Yes they are part of the primary key and i have handled the same properly in my query itself.
it could be that you need to modify your query a bit ..

lets say your primary key is c1+c2+c3 and your unique index has c2 in its definition:

with the logic you have, DS will check if c1+c2+c3 in the incoming feed already exists in table if it is then updates the table otherwise inserts (or tries to) to table .. on the other hand its completely possible that c1+c2+c3 might be unique when compared to table values but c2 might already be there in table .. and this case will throw an ERROR!!
thank you
- prasad
punar_deep
Participant

Post by punar_deep »

1) I am taking proper care while defining the key columns.
2) In my case before inserting the records into the target table i am passing the them through a sort stage in which i am not allowing any duplicates.So, the chances of having two records in the same input load are not there.
samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

the error u r getting is uasually bcz the row ur inserting is already existing check the logic u r using to update the key value if it exist,somehow u r inserting the same key
hi sam here
meena
Participant

Post by meena »

Hi,
You need to check with the key columns only. You may not have duplicates, but the key column makes this problem. Better to check with other columns too.
1) I am taking proper care while defining the key columns.
2) In my case before inserting the records into the target table i am passing the them through a sort stage in which i am not allowing any duplicates.So, the chances of having two records in the same input load are not there.
punar_deep
Participant

Post by punar_deep »

Hi Prasad,

You are right on your point.The problem was very much what you stated.I was able to test the same with the inputs that you gave.Thanx a lot for the valuable help that you have provided.

Thanks alot.
ukyrvd
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ukyrvd »

punar_deep wrote:Hi Prasad,

You are right on your point.The problem was very much what you stated.I was able to test the same with the inputs that you gave.Thanx a lot for the valuable help that you have provided.

Thanks alot.
Good!!
If you still want the update happen when c2 matches .. you can update the where clause of UPDATE sql to include this case as

WHERE
(
(c1=c1 and c2=c2 and c3=3 .. the same as wht you might have already)
OR
(c2=c2)
)
thank you
- prasad