What is MQ Series?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

What is MQ Series?

Post by abc123 »

I am trying to learn what MQ Series is so that I can use the MQ stage. I have done extensive search on the web and Ascential's site. No luck. On Ascential's site, there are several articles about MQ Series and what it can do and stuff but there is no beginner's tutorial as to what MQ Series is. The URL I went to us: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/integration/wmq/.

Can anyone help?
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello abc123,

MQ Series is an IBM product that allows for real time queueing of messages produced by a source and consumed by a consumer. To learn about it you should search the IBM site.

The MQ Stage is a plugin that allows for reading and writing messages to a MQ Series Queue. There is a plugin document that describes all the options for configuring the MQ stage in a Datastage job to read from an MQ Series queue.

Using MQ Series you can propagate real time messages of source changes to your ETL Server, then using MQ stage you can setup a DataStage job to read the changes from the queue and do what you please with them. Although after reading the configuration of MQ Stage you will find that such a job containing it will typically operate in batch and be scheduled using external wrapper.

A few requirements of the MQ stage in 7.5:
1. You must have a MQ Series Server installed on your ETL box. This changes in Hawk, where you will only require a client library.
2. You must install the additional plugin from the CD.

- Greg
meena
Participant

Post by meena »

Hi,
Check this:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247128.html

This will help to know the fundamental.
gxhpainter
Premium Member
Premium Member

example of Datastage with MQ series usage.

Post by gxhpainter »

Meena is right, that is good information link.

But I would like to add to that.

here is the example where we can use it thru DataStage.

Assume: If you have Store Chain and you have store A and Store B in different locations. A customer walks in store A and makes 25$ purchases and he pays only 10$ at the counter and 15 $ has been taken as credit.
Now are couple of days he make 10 $ purchases at Store B and pays 10 $ and he wants to what is balance he has to pay?
Then MQ and DataStage will immediately gets the response from the Centralized DB that he woes 15 $.

For MQ Series connectivity to DataStage, recommended is both should be on the same server.

Rgds,
Chakra