Min PC Configuration

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijayrc
Participant

Min PC Configuration

Post by vijayrc »

Hi,
My home pc is Dell DIM3000/Windows XP/Home Edition/Intel Celeron Processor 2.4GHZ and 256MB RAM. To have DS Client Installed and run efficiently, apart from increasing my 256MB to 1GB or so, would there be any limiting factor in my computer's configuration ???Would Celeron be a concern !? Any thoughts
Thnks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can't install the DataStage Client on XP Home any more, you'd need to upgrade to XP Pro first.

I've run the client on 256MB systems and it works 'fine'. More is obviously better but you'll survive. Same with the processor, I would think a Celeron would be 'fine' as well.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Extra memory on the client will help when compiling job sequences.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

ray.wurlod wrote:Extra memory on the client will help when compiling job sequences. ...
Thanks RAY, memory either 512MB/1GB was on my mind anyways, but how about the other configuration my machine has. Can the Win Home XP be clarified, if anyone has faced an issue. Thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

vijayrc wrote:Can the Win Home XP be clarified, if anyone has faced an issue.
Not sure what there is to clarify. The install is physically blocked by the product on XP Home as a known 'it will not work here' platform. It's not like it installs (like 6.x did) and may work fine (like 6.x did) - you cannot install it.

Unless that's changed recently (it's been awhile since I had this 'issue') but I don't think so...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Fairly sure that it will not install, and that this is picked up by the InstallShield wizard.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

ray.wurlod wrote:Fairly sure that it will not install, and that this is picked up by the InstallShield wizard. ...
Thanks Craig and Ray