Sequential file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pankajg
Participant

Sequential file

Post by pankajg »

I wanted to know if there is a restriction on the number of columns that can be defined for a sequential file. Is there a limitation on the size of the file that the datastage would support.

I believe that there should be no limitation on the number of columns that can be defined in a sequential file and also that there should be no problem with the size of the file, unless there is a file size limit set by the operating system.

Let me know your thoughts on the same.

Thanks in advance.
Failures push you towards Success.
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

For your second question - yes, if there is any file size limit in OS, then it is applicable in the job. But if it is not set then no limit.

For your question - not sure if there is any limit on no. of columns. I have worked only on files with 250 cols, not more than that. It worked fine.
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
pankajg
Participant

Post by pankajg »

Thanks Kirti for your reply.

Well, I am looking to use a sequential file with about 900 columns.

I would try this and see if that works. :)
Failures push you towards Success.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

you can find some files been used in ranges of 2000 - 2500 columns.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage imposes no limits.
Some operating systems and some network protocols limit the physical length of a row.
The bigger the rows, the fewer the rows/second (naturally).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.