Sequential stage.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bhargava129189
Participant

Sequential stage.

Post by bhargava129189 »

I am facing was facing a problem in handling variable length column in exporting data to sequential file. i used field width=120 and padchar=Space to solve it format tab of the stage.
But i am concerned about performance.

What is the field width i need to use to make my job perform better?

the variable length column is of 11 bytes
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The less data is read/written or touched the faster a job will perform. Declaring a char(120) column when the data length is only char(11) means that over 10x as many bytes are processed as necessary. This increase in data may or may not affect performance, but the overall load on a system will be reduced if you stick to the minimums necessary.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Making the file a delimited format will solve your padding problem, however it may not be acceptable to the consumer of the file. Delimited is usually the appropriate choice when variable-length data have to be stored in a text file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.