how can we suppress the warnings in sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bollinenik
Participant

how can we suppress the warnings in sequence

Post by bollinenik »

Hi,

How can we suppress teh warnings in sequence

I am useing wait for fail activity if file is not there it's giving one warning...pls any one tell me how can we suppress this in sequnce
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Using a message handler.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bollinenik
Participant

Post by bollinenik »

ray.wurlod wrote:Using a message handler. ...
By using message handler i am able to suppress the warnings in jobs' but at the same time i am not able to suppress the warnings in sequences...i am not getting that option in sequnce but in job's i am able to do.....do i need to take any precautions....pls help me
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

in the sequence general property there is option "log warning after activities that finish with status other then OK", uncheck that.
bollinenik
Participant

Post by bollinenik »

keshav0307 wrote:in the sequence general property there is option "log warning after activities that finish with status other then OK", uncheck that.
Thx Kesav,
That's fine and i am getting one warning like this
Service_Agent_LaborRates1_Seq..JobControl (DSWaitForFile): Check for file '/apps/dsadm/BAPI/ZZSALR1_RETURN.txt' failed

the wait forfailactivity is checking for file and if file is not there it's giving this warning it's saying failed.....pls tell me how i can suppress this
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You could suppress it by waiting longer. How about setting the wait to 1758 years and thirty three minutes. Or better yet take it out, why is it waiting for a file that doesn't arrive? You could write your own waitforfile command using a BASIC routine and a sleep loop. Your sequence job is presenting it as a warning because it is something that should be investigated by support.

You cannot suppress warning messages in a sequence job because the message handler only works for parallel jobs.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

vmcburney wrote:Your sequence job is presenting it as a warning because it is something that should be investigated by support.
Exactly. Either ensure the file arrives on time or don't worry about the warning as it is a legitimate one, worry about why the file didn't arrive.

Why do you feel the need to 'suppress' it? Explaining the 'why' may help more than concentrating on the 'what'. Too many times, people come here with a very specific question - how do I do X? After struggling with the answer, we typically find that by taking a step back to see why they are asking the question - what the bigger issue is that they are trying to solve - there are other, mo betta ways to accomplish what they are trying to do. Perhaps the same would help here.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

A while back i wrote a unix script and a basic routine to do almost the same thing. The routine wont work for you but the script will help. Check out thispost
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A simple check for existence (no timeout) can be effected with an Execute Command activity.
Windows: DIR /B pathname
UNIX: ls -1 pathname
where pathname is the pathname of the file whose existence is to be checked for.
Create an OK trigger and an Otherwise trigger on the Execute Command activity, and make sure that "Log warnings after activities that finish with status other than OK" is disabled.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What brought you to this old thread, Ray? :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Finding the solution in the course of my regular activities. Client asked whether there was a way that did not generate a warning (as opposed to suppressing, since message handlers don't apply to job sequences).