How to generate sequence Number in Teradata

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chrisjones
Participant

Post by chrisjones »

Hi Friends,
I want to generate sequence number in Teradata and I came to know that csum(1,1) is used to generate..but I want some more regarding this ..If you have any idea pls let me know .
Similarly Rank() over is used to retrieve the last sequence numer.So I want more info on this also.
Thanks,
Chris Jones
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Posting this question on a Teradata forum might be more fruitful, or looking in your Teradata manuals/help files.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chrisjones
Participant

Post by chrisjones »

Ok..Thanks
ray.wurlod wrote:Posting this question on a Teradata forum might be more fruitful, or looking in your Teradata manuals/help files.
Thanks,
Chris Jones
nishadkapadia
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: How to generate sequence Number in Teradata

Post by nishadkapadia »

Using Rank() function is better, since sequence number could be discontinous.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I think that the OP wants to generate a sequence number for INSERT, not for SELECT. RANK is a display function, used with SELECT.

If a sequence exists in Teradata, then it should have a CURRVAL and NEXTVAL property (note that these are the Oracle names; the Teradata names may vary slightly). You should be able to invoke the NEXTVAL property of the sequence.

This will, of course, introduce a bottleneck in a parallel job with more than one processing node, unless Teradata has techniques for allocating different blocks of sequence numbers to different processes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nishadkapadia
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by nishadkapadia »

Hi,

One can do an insert..select statement using the Rank() function.

It is correct that the sequence number is allocated in a batch to the various amps, hence should not be a problem while insertion however the possibility of it being discontinuous.

One can actually do a rank()+1 function so as to start from the last sequence number.

However, if that is not a requirement that the sequence number to be continous, one can go ahead minus the rank function.

IMHO