Problem in executing job sequence with multiple streams

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

varunbakshi
Participant

Problem in executing job sequence with multiple streams

Post by varunbakshi »

Hi,

I am facing a problem while executing a sequencer. The problem is like this, sequencer has ten jobs in it
A>>B>>C>>D>>E (First stream in the sequencer)

P>>Q>>R>>S>>T(Second stream in the sequencer)

When I am executing this sequencer it executing job A+P in parallel. But due to some problem job Q got aborted. My requirement is that the sequencers should be restartable so that I don't need to run that job which has already been run by the sequencers and the job in rest of the stream should not get effected by this.

I am implementing two kind of scenarios for this----

1. I have checked add checkpoints so sequencer is restartable on failure and automatically handle activities that fail at the sequencer level.
In this case the status of sequencers after first run(where job Q got aborted) is showing as restartable. But the problem in this case is that even though the aborted job i.e. job Q is in second stream the jobs in first stream are also not being executed(C,D and E). The only drawback this case is that although this is restartable but the jobs in the first stream are not getting executed in first run.

2. I have checked add checkpoints so sequencer is restartable on failure and unchecked automatically handle activities that fail at the sequencer level.
In this case the status of sequencers after first run (where job Q got aborted) is showing as finished after first run. In this case all the jobs in first stream are getting executed in the first run itself, but since it status is showing as finished after first run it is not restartable although I have selected that option in the sequencer. So it doesn't serve the purpose of job sequencer being restartable.

If any one has any solution to this problem then please let me know.

Varun.
nishadkapadia
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Problem in executing job sequence with multiple streams

Post by nishadkapadia »

Hi,

One can have two sequencers one with A-->B--> etc and another one with P-->Q-->.

Create a master sequence for the two above and dont connect them , so as to make them run in parallel.

This will work,however that is all IMHO.
SriKara
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SriKara »

Hi,

If A->B->C... and P-->Q-->R... are two totaly independent streams of jobs, then create two separate sequencers for them.

Code for error handling and add check points in each sequencer and schedule them as two separate jobs at the same time, so that they run parallely.

Creating a master sequence, with these two sequencers again may not be of much help for the problems you have stated.
Regards,
SriKara