DataStage 7.5.2 Writing to XML file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ccatania
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage 7.5.2 Writing to XML file

Post by ccatania »

Would anyone know if DS can write to an XML file and if so what stage was used in doing this. I have a to provide this information for a design meeting coming up later today 9/29 (1:00 EST). My take away was to see if this can be done with DS or not.

Thanks in advance

Charlie
Charlie
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sure... you should have three XML related stages installed: XML Input, XML Transformer and lastly the XML Output stage which you would use to create XML files.

You should also be able to find an 'XML Pack 2.0' pdf manual in your 'Docs' directory which will walk you through use of the stages.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ccatania
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ccatania »

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply unfortunately I'm not seeing any of the stages you mention or the doc, could this be an add on feature that maybe we didn't purchase or is it part of enterprise edition :?: Could it be disguised under a different name???
Charlie
ccatania
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ccatania »

I LOCATED THE INFORMATION I NEEDED CONCERNING XML.. My thanks for the assistance..
Charlie
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You've found it, but for other's benefit it is located under the 'Real Time' portion of the palette in the Designer. Not being one of the 'optional' plug-in types of stages, it installs automatically, so no worries about it not showing up. Hopefully. :wink:
-craig

roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

Hi all,

I was looking for the XML PACK developer documentation, and I noticed that the document I found (the same file name you mentioned) specifies the guide is intended for server jobs. Is there a separate guide for PX jobs? Is there any difference between the XML stages in Server versus Parallel?

"This guide is intended for DataStage Server job designers who are
proficient with XML Path Language (XPath) expressions, XML Schema
Definition (XSD), and XSL Transformations (XSLT)."

The title of this document is "XML PACK Designer Guide Version 7.5.1." (XMLPACK_20_Designer.pdf)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As far as I know, the XML stages function the same in Server and PX. However, most of the techniques discussed in the guide leverage hashed files for chunk storage, hence the mention of Server jobs in it. Not all do, it's well worth going through regardless...
-craig