Capturing unchanged rows using CDC

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

s1kaasam
Participant

Capturing unchanged rows using CDC

Post by s1kaasam »

Hi I have noticed that in the CDC stage only after dataset records or information comes out of the CDC stage. Is it possible to output both the changed rows from the after dataset and unchanged rows from the before dataset be outputed by using a single CDC stage? If so what would be the combination of properties that need to be set in a CDC stage.

The main reason why I am trying to do this is I want to capture unchanged rows from before dataset.

Please let me know if my question is not clear and if it requires more clarity.

Thanks
Shravan
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

the rows are unchanged, because it is same in Before and after datset; how does it matter that it is comming from before or after datset.
s1kaasam
Participant

Post by s1kaasam »

Well the rows are unchanged w.r.t to keys and values that you define in a CDC stage but there is other information associated with only in the before data in the DB. For eg. in any slowly changing dimension you would have the record creation date or the record update date which is system generated and available in the before dataset.

With respect to my question by using CDC stage is it possible to get data from both the sides i.e. before and after datasets.
shravan
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

Then add a join stage after the change capture stage, and join the Before dataset with the copy rows, to get other values from before dataset..
s1kaasam
Participant

Post by s1kaasam »

Thanks Keshav for your reply. I found the answer for my question. And yah there are many ways you could do different things for eg joins and all but I was interested only in that specific stage.
shravan
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

only in that specific stage.
You cannot do it in ChangeCapture Stage alone. Try with Difference stage or Compare Stage or ChangeCapture coupled with ChangeApply stage.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
s1kaasam
Participant

Post by s1kaasam »

Thanks Kumar for your reply I shall try using those other stages that you mentioned and see how it works.
shravan