Preventing an ftp if file is zero length

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kld05
Charter Member
Charter Member

Preventing an ftp if file is zero length

Post by kld05 »

Hi all,

Is there a simple way to pevent an ftp if the file doesn't contain any records? My job is currently creating a zero length file. I know I could write an after script to do this but just wanted to confirm that was the only way.
meena
Participant

Post by meena »

Are ftp'inf the file in a job or in a sequencer.
Do the file has column header.
kld05
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kld05 »

This is in a job without header information.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Preventing an ftp if file is zero length

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

kld05 wrote:Hi all,

Is there a simple way to pevent an ftp if the file doesn't contain any records? My job is currently creating a zero length file. I know I could write an after script to do this but just wanted to confirm that was the only way.
Check it in unix before you run the job. use If condition like

If -s filename then run job else abort

Or use sequencer and use activity stage to check if -s filename returns 1 or 0 and use conditional links to control the flow.
thumsup9
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by thumsup9 »

Krazykoolrohit wrote:

Check it in unix before you run the job. use If condition like

If -s filename then run job else abort

Or use sequencer and use activity stage to check if -s filename returns 1 or 0 and use conditional links to control the flow.
I think he meant Test -s Filename. You can use this in COmmand Actvity Stage or a routine.
prabu
Participant

Post by prabu »

1)use a contol job and check for the readiness of the file before you call the ftp job

2)Don't create an empty file if there is nothing to write[Meaning change your ftp script which actually does this]

3) use a .ready file as a ftp checker file [Wait for file activity in Sequencer].

some thoughts!

regards,
Prabu