PX jobs not terminating

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Rajesh_kr82
Participant

PX jobs not terminating

Post by Rajesh_kr82 »

I ahve seen that sometimes PX jobs do not terminate at all. They just hang for hours and do not do anything. Status in the director is running all the time. because they do not return any type of return code the unix shell script never also hangs.

So how shall this kind of scenario be handled??

Rajesh
Regards,
Rajesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

By designing (a) so that they do finish and/or (b) that hang conditions are detected and managed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
panchusrao2656
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by panchusrao2656 »

We had the similar issue when there were bitmap indexes on the target table. Bitmap index was there on multiple columns with cardinality greater than 10000.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

panchusrao2656 - Do you mean to say, the waist time taken by the job is due to the post index building timing?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Is there anything your job needs to do after it finishes processing data? Are there after-job routines? Is there anything on the after-sql tab? Are you doing a bulk load to a database? The database may need to rebuild indexes once the load is finished. Could the job be suffering database locking?
panchusrao2656
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by panchusrao2656 »

Kumar,

As the cardinality is very high, i believe it is taking very long to partition the data virtually. In our case the loading method is Upsert.

I am not sure what was happening. Our data modeler experimented by adding bitmap index to the target table.

Kumar, can you tell us whether datastage supports bitmap index or not.