Administrator Properties - Hangs System

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Administrator Properties - Hangs System

Post by Raftsman »

Hi all,

I have already put a call into tech support but I thought I would post the problem in case someone else has had this happen. A few months back I installed the 7.5x2 version of DataStage on a Windows 2000 OS. In the Administrator module, the system would hang when trying to open the Project Properties. Tech support informed me that this software works only with Windows 2003. We have upgrade the OS to 2003 and re-installed the DS and the same problem exists. I called Tech support again and I am awaiting a response. Has anyone else ever had this problem and how was it resolved?

Thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You mean the whole OS freezes and you have to power down or do a reset to get going again or just the admin client and perhaps DS would hang?
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

The DS freezes. To continue, I must use Taskman to kill the DS module.
kalimuddin
Participant

Post by kalimuddin »

Raftsman wrote:The DS freezes. To continue, I must use Taskman to kill the DS module.
Just tell me how you are installing first the serever or the client and also tell me whats the expiring date you are giving and whats the current date in the computer. I am just trying with what basics i now, even it might bring a solution
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Do connections using the Designer/Director/Manager also freeze? If so, then it is certainly a network connection related issue, otherwise it is the Administrator. Also, have you tried connecting from another client using the Administrator?
gootala_ravi
Participant

Post by gootala_ravi »

ArndW wrote:Do connections using the Designer/Director/Manager also freeze? If so, then it is certainly a network connection related issue, otherwise it is the Administrator. Also, have you tried connecting from ...
My best guess is that you might not be using the True Administrator id that has the access to run the DS Server edition on Windows Server. Ensure that you use appropriate Id with Admin rights to start the DS server.

DS Server installation should be done with seperate administrator id (ideally with an id which has all permissions on the server including executing scheduled jobs "AT" jobs). This id should be able to start the DS server, have all permissions on Windows server.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Further Update:

Everything else in DataStage works fine. I can get to all modules from either within modules or directly from the icons. I installed the client on another machine to rule out that my machine was the cause. The same problem occurs. I still haven't heard from IBM's tech's and I have run out of possible options. If anyone else has options, please let me know.

Thanks
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Additional Information:

The Microsoft Visual .net 2003 C++ compiler has not been installed. Wondering if this could be the issue. Is there an admin user id that is required other than window admin rights that is needed.

Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The compiler will not affect the connectivity, just compilation of PX jobs on 7.5x2
wasimraja
Participant

Post by wasimraja »

Hi,

I am also facing the same problem with Datastage Administrator. When you are granted more rights, I guess it takes a long time (like about 15-20 mins) to open the properties for a project. If you have less rights granted, it opens up in a second. But, I still dont know if there is a fix to it. Please let me know if you get one from the Support. I will also do the same.
Cheers
Wasim

--If necessity is the mother of invention, then the need to simplify is the father of it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Only a year has gone by between posts. Maybe, wasimraja, you need to follow this up with your own support provider?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.