OSH.EXE Application Error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Inquisitive
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Inquisitive »

Hi,

I have installed Datastage 7.5x2 and Oracle 10i on windows XP (Server and ).
I am able to run and compile datastage jobs.
I am facing some problem setting up Oracle connection from Datastage.

Following are the issues that I am facing.

1. I set up an ODBC connection throuh Control Panel -> Admistrative Tools ->ODBC connection.
I am trying to access this ODBC service through ODBC stage in Datastage. When I click on "View Data" I get a windows applica error with following message and then when I click "OK" after that it displays the correct result of the query.

Error message: (It is typical windows application error)

Instruction at "0x7c911e58 referenced memory at "0xfffffff". Memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program
As I mentioned above once I click on OK and terminate that window I am able to see proper result extracted from DB.

But this error is causing job to abort. Any pointer on solving this problem would be of great help.

2. when I try to use Oracle Enterprise stage to read from Oracle database, I am getting below error message.

##E TOSH 000205 16:54:43(004) <main_program> PATH search failure:
##E TOSH 000000 16:54:43(005) <main_program> Error loading "orchoracle": Could not load "orchoracle": The specified module could not be found.
##E TOSH 000000 16:54:43(006) <main_program> Could not locate operator definition, wrapper, or Unix command for "oraread"; please check that all needed libraries are preloaded, and check the PATH for the wrappers
##E TCOS 000029 16:54:43(007) <main_program> Creation of step finished with status = FAILED

It looks like it is something to do with set up. Please let me know how this could be tackled.

Note: I have searched the forum for point 2 above and when I tried that resolution I was not able to get it corrected. So I am reporting it.

Please let me know your thoughts on solving above 2 problems.

Thanks
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Hi,
Problem 1 has something to do with your XP OS. Did you have XP SP2 installed on your machine?

Problem 2 has something to do with your Oracle client couldn't be located during the DS installation. So, search the forum for the detailed instructions that I posted in the past.
Inquisitive
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Inquisitive »

Thanks for the reply Istsaur,

Does installing SP2 solve the problem with this ODBC connection? I will update my Xp with SP2 and let you know the result.

And about your earlier post for Oracle enterprise connection. I found following detailed reply
1. cd to your C:\Ascential\DataStage\PXEngine\install
2. type sh
3. ORACLE_HOME="C:/Your_Oracle_Client"
4. export ORACLE_HOME
5. APT_ORCHHOME="C:/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine"
6. export APT_ORCHHOME
7. sh install.liborchoracle
then you will see the message on the screen;
Installing Oracle Drvie
Using C:/Your_Oracle_Client as ORACLE_HOME
Installing drive for Oracle version 9i or 10g Oracel installation is complete.

But when I try to do it I am getting following error at Step 3
$ pwd
C:/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/install
$ sh ORACLE_HOME="C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_1"
ORACLE_HOME=C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_1: ORACLE_HOME=C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\
db_1: not found

my tnsnames.ora file resides in following path C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_1\network\admin\ I think my Oracle home directory should be "C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_1" (Do you think it is a problem??)

So, I am not able to continue with further steps.

Please let me know if you have any idea how it could be tackled.

Thanks
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Do exactly the following steps:
1. cd to your C:\Ascential\DataStage\PXEngine\install>
2. type sh (from the prompt of above directory), then you will get a $ prompt
4. export ORACLE_HOME
6. export APT_ORCHHOME

You need to set the ORACLE_HOME environment variable first and then to export it. Let me know if you still having problems.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hi lstsaur,

Please do not consider this as thread hijacking. I'm trying to do the same as above. I have EE and Server on my machine (laptop) with the Windows XP Pro Operating system (SP2 installed). I have installed Oracle 10g Release 1, Personal Edition.

I'm able to connect to Oracle database through SQLPLUS. So, I went ahead and created a ODBC connection (SYSTEM DSN). But when I try to import meta-data, I dont see the tables in the "hr" schema or "scott" schema.

Instead, It retrieves some long list of tables with qualifiers.

For example,

CTXSYS.CTX_CLASSES
XDB.XDB$SIMPLE_TYPE

and so on. I don't see the tables that "scott" should have, which are

Code: Select all

SQL> connect scott/******;
Connected.
SQL> select * from tab;

TNAME                          TABTYPE  CLUSTERID
------------------------------ ------- ----------
DEPT                           TABLE
EMP                            TABLE
BONUS                          TABLE
SALGRADE                       TABLE

SQL> 

What could be the problem?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Whale.
Last edited by I_Server_Whale on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Hi Naveen,
That's because you login the DB as either system or sys.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hi lstsaur,

You mean to say, when I'm trying to import the meta-data, I'm logging in as sys or system. I did not do that. I'm logging in as "scott".

Also, When I set-up the SYSTEM DSN, I tested the connection with "scott" and it was successful. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

Do I have to go through these steps even for importing meta-data?

1. cd to your C:\Ascential\DataStage\PXEngine\install> 
2. type sh (from the prompt of above directory), then you will get a $ prompt 
4. export ORACLE_HOME 
6. export APT_ORCHHOME 
Thanks for your help,
Whale.
Last edited by I_Server_Whale on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Hi Naveen.
My bad. I meant that you did not login as either system or sys.
Anyway, try to use the Plug-in Metadata Definitions, then select the ORAOCI9 Plug-in which you use Scott's ID and password to import the metadata. Click the Owner List dropdown box to see whether Scott or HR is on the list. Let me know how it turns out.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Also, when Importing, make sure you Filter the result to just the Owner Name (SCOTT) that you are interested in. Otherwise you will get everything in the schema, including system tables like you noted. I'd bet your scott tables are in there, just buried along with everything else. :wink:

After the fact, you can use the 'Name Contains' and 'Refresh' options to find your SCOTT tables in the larger list.

Or, as noted, switch to using OCI rather than ODBC and import via the Plug-In Meta Data option. Once connected, you can drop down the Owner List and change it from 'ALL OWNERS' to 'SCOTT'. Of course, you'll need to ensure DataStage is properly configured for Oracle via OCI first. That's all documented in the Plug-In Installation and Configuration Guide pdf manual.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hello Craig & lstsaur,

Thanks much for your inputs.

Or, as noted, switch to using OCI rather than ODBC and import via the Plug-In Meta Data option. Once connected, you can drop down the Owner List and change it from 'ALL OWNERS' to 'SCOTT'. 

I was able to import the meta-data without any issues.

All I now need to do is configure the "Oracle Enterprise Stage" for accessing the table in DS EE. I will work on that by following the steps outlined in lstsaur's post.

Thanks again,
Whale.
Last edited by I_Server_Whale on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hi lstsaur,

Since I have the same problem as in this POST that you solved. I was wondering if you could help me at the point where I'm stuck right now.

I was executing the steps outlined by you. And when reached the 3rd step.
I get the following:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cd C:\Ascential\DataStage\PXEngine\install

C:\Ascential\DataStage\PXEngine\install>sh
$ ORACLE_HOME = "C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1"
ORACLE_HOME: not found
$

I don't understand why it says that ORACLE_HOME is not found. I'm not able to proceed further. Your help is very much appreciated.

Whale.
Last edited by I_Server_Whale on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Currently, when I try to view the data from "Oracle Enterprise Stage". I get this error message.

##I TFCN 000001 22:01:02(000) <main_program> 
 Ascential DataStage(tm) Enterprise Edition 7.5
 Copyright (c) 2004, 1997-2004 Ascential Software Corporation.
 All Rights Reserved

##I TOSH 000002 22:01:02(001) <main_program> orchgeneral: loaded
 ##I TOSH 000002 22:01:02(002) <main_program> orchsort: loaded
 ##I TOSH 000002 22:01:02(003) <main_program> orchstats: loaded
 ##W TCOS 000049 22:01:02(004) <main_program> Parameter specified but not used in flow: DSProjectMapName
>##E TOSH 000205 22:01:02(005) <main_program> PATH search failure: 
>##E TOSH 000000 22:01:02(006) <main_program> Error loading "orchoracle": Could not load "orchoracle": The specified module could not be found. 
>##E TOSH 000000 22:01:02(007) <main_program> Could not locate operator definition, wrapper, or Unix command for "oraread"; please check that all needed libraries are preloaded, and check the PATH for the wrappers
>##E TCOS 000029 22:01:02(008) <main_program> Creation of step finished with status = FAILED

Should I setup any "USER" or "SYSTEM" defined environment variables? Should I install Visual C++ compiler? Am I missing something? Any guidance is of great help. Thanks,

Whale.
Last edited by I_Server_Whale on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Hi Naveen,
This is really weired. When you issue the command ORACLE_HOME = "C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1", it should just set the variable's value.
Try to set the variable one more time without a space before and after the = sign. If you still get the same error, then go to the system registry, click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE-->ORACLE to see what's the value under the Data column for ORACLE_HOME. It should have a value such as C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1. Let me know if you still having problem.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try it without the spaces around the "=" sign. It does actually make a difference. And, since you're on Windows, use the set command.

set ORACLE_HOME="C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1" 
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Inquisitive
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Inquisitive »

Thanks, Istsaur and Ray,
I was able to install Oracle properly without any error.

I have Datastage installed on my laptop and also Oracle 10i Personal edition installed on the same.

I am working in this mode for the first time. How should I mention the server name in Enterprise Stage? Typically we used to provide the server name and database name in the 'Remote Server' Tab.

So here when we have everything installed on laptop, server name would be the computer name/IP address??

Can you please guide me to set up enterprise stage in this scenario?

Thanks