Truncate in DB2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Truncate in DB2

Post by kris007 »

Hi All,

I am trying to truncate a table in DB2 using the following LOAD REPLACE statement from the Open Command option

Code: Select all

load from /dev/null of del replace into ownername.tablename NONRECOVERABLE
but the statement doesn't execute successfully giving an error

update_dim: ERROR during execution of DB2-CLI requests:  SQL_ERROR;  SQLSTATE = 42601;  NativeErrorCode = -104;  Message = [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/LINUX] SQL0104N  An unexpected token "END-OF-STATEMENT" was found following "_dim NONRECOVERABLE"".  Expected tokens may include:  "JOIN <joined_table>".  SQLSTATE=42601. 

Failed to prepare statement:  load from /dev/null of del replace into ownername.tablename NONRECOVERABLE
It would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction on how to truncate a table in DB2

Thanks
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Well, your load replace syntax seems to be correct but db2 is reading something more than that. Thats why its giving you SQL0104N which just means its a syntax error. Even the SQL0104N help is not very helpful as it just says, hey, your syntax is messed up, fix it. Close that window, open a new one and try the command again. Even try going in from command line and try it there. Also make sure you are running this command for UDB and not DB2. If its DB2, all the tables in that table space will be wiped out. But for UDB it will only truncate the table that you specify.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

DSguru2B wrote:Well, your load replace syntax seems to be correct but db2 is reading something more than that. Thats why its giving you SQL0104N which just means its a syntax error. Even the SQL0104N help is not very helpful as it just says, hey, your syntax is messed up, fix it. Close that window, open a new one and try the command again. Even try going in from command line and try it there. Also make sure you are running this command for UDB and not DB2. If its DB2, all the tables in that table space will be wiped out. But for UDB it will only truncate the table that you specify.
Yeah DSGuru it is syntax error, I wanted to know if there is any special syntax to issue command line commands.It works well when I try it in command line.
Kris

ghila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ghila »

Hello,

You can also use the following SQL in order to do a truncate in DB2 :
ALTER TABLE <tablename> ACTIVATE NOT LOGGED INITIALLY WITH EMPTY TABLE

Hope this will help.
Regards,

Daniel
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I know it might sound silly, but what if you explicitly add a semicolon to your statement?
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

ghila wrote: You can also use the following SQL in order to do a truncate in DB2 :
ALTER TABLE <tablename> ACTIVATE NOT LOGGED INITIALLY WITH EMPTY TABLE
ghila, Thanks for the response when I tried to execute the above query I got sql code =SQL1596N
SQL1596N WITH EMPTY TABLE cannot be specified for <table-name>SQLSTATE=42928
I did a search on sql code =SQL1596N I got some link saying its not allowed for REFRESH IMMEDIATE table. I donot know what that means.
I know it might sound silly, but what if you explicitly add a semicolon to your statement?
ArndW- Thanks for the suggestion, I have already tried that, it doesnt matter I still get the same error.I even tried removing quotes and all other various combination. Is there anything like PL/SQL equivalent syntax for DB2 :roll: .
Kris

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Did you try it without the keyword 'NONRECOVERABLE' ???
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
cmg
Participant

Did u connect to DB2

Post by cmg »

did you connect to DB2?

if so use
db2 "load from /dev/null of del replace into schama.tablename nonrecoverable"
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

DSguru2B wrote:Did you try it without the keyword 'NONRECOVERABLE' ???
Yes I did but in vain.
Kris

ghila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ghila »

Kris,

Seems your table is either an MQT or part of an MQT, or there are constraints references. So this do not allow you to use WITH EMPTY TABLE clause.
Regards,

Daniel
thurmy34
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thurmy34 »

Hi,

I use this syntaxe:

ECHO CONNECT TO database USER user using pwd >file.SQL
ECHO import from nul: of del replace into schema.table; >>file.SQL
ECHO DISCONNECT CURRENT; >>file.SQL
ECHO TERMINATE; >>file.SQL
DB2CMD.EXE /w /c DB2.EXE -tvf file.SQL -l file.LOG

and it's work fine.

I call this from a before.after routine.

Hope this help.

Sorry guys i didn't see it was on unix.
Shoud i delete my post ?
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Dont worry about it, :wink: . I was thinking of a way to invoke it from database stage rather writing script and calling it.
Thanks.
Kris