Portability of Datastage Code?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Krishna Nair
Participant

Portability of Datastage Code?

Post by Krishna Nair »

Hello All,

I was reading an internal FAQ related to DS and there its mentioned that DS job compiled on one server won't run on another server. You have to import it and then compile it on the new server.

But as far as i know since DS jobs on compilation generates Orchestrate script that script should run on other servers configuration also.Bcoz partitioning and all comes into picture during run time when the configuration is file read. So the orchestrate script shouldnot have any dependency on hardware.

The only possible case where portability is affected may be when basic transfomers or build ops are getting used since it involves the use of C++ compiler which should be compatibe with DS version.

Please give some inputs to clarify the same.

Thanks
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

It should run well. The other problem I faced is, the parameter values in version 7.5.1a.
Though the parameters been passed new set of values, it some how gets the values passed early. Recompilation worked.

And regarding the compiler, if you issue the compiled code from one server, it is not madatory to have a C++ compiler.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You will need to recompile jobs that use a transform stage.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

ArndW wrote:You will need to recompile jobs that use a transform stage.
ArndW - Do you mean Basic Transformer?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, he means parallel Transformer. The binary ("object") code produced by your C++ compiler is almost certainly not portable to other platforms.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Same platform should work..

Post by pneumalin »

Just add one more point to Ray's comment...
If you export the Job Executables to another NEW SERVER that is the same platform with the OLD SERVER, the job should run as usual without having to recompile the job in NEW SERVER. Which means there is no need to install the C++ compiler in NEW SERVER that is configured to be a produciton server..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Identical means exactly that - including operating system patches.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.