DataStage experience with Model 204 database...

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Daddy Doma
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage experience with Model 204 database...

Post by Daddy Doma »

Hi,

Has anyone ever had any experience(s) on a DataStage project that used M204 as a database source? In the past I've sourced from DB2, SQL Server, Teradata, and text files but have never come across M204 before.

I can't find too much about the database iteself or development advice online - there is no M204Xchange.com! It would be interesting to get any feedback. My new project has already decided that flat file exports are the only alternative, but I want to make totally sure that there are no other connection possibilties.

(Full disclosure: I submitted a request for similar info online to Computer Corporation of America - I wonder if any response will be forthcoming from them?)

Thanx,

Zac.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ray has probably used it for years. Knows the creator personally. Dated his cousin.

How about it. Ray? Have we ever stumped Ray?
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not entirely. Bumped into it quite a while back, when doing some work with Focus. It's a database (and more - read their marketing hype) from CCA. You can get at it using ODBC or JDBC.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I've dealt with it, but not directly. My client recently shutdown their M204 system, but before that we were sending information back and forth. Only problem was it was pretty much treated as that crazy inmate permanently stuck in solitary confinement. We never met face to face, sometimes I'd slide things under the door for them to load and sometimes they'd slide something back out for me. :wink:

Not really helpful, I know... sorry. It was an interesting situation, the M204 peoples only knew that and nothing else so couldn't really help me in any fashion other than by exchanging flat files.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Probably no performance benefits to using the ODBC stage. In parallel jobs the only supported databases for the Enteprise ODBC stage are Oracle, Informix, DB2 and Teradata. The m204 ODBC or JDBC can be used but only with the single threaded odbc stage so it will probably be slower than a flat file import. Especially if you can perform change data capture on your m204 tables on the server, partition it and ftp it direct to DataStage nodes. You can use multiple file readers.

There is, at extra expense, there is also i-way adaptor for 204 which should work well with DataStage jobs. Don't know if they will offer much faster performance but they should make the data more accessible by translating the SQL for you and providing support for web services access to m204 data.
Daddy Doma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Daddy Doma »

Thanks for all your responses.

I've got a (very speedy) reply from the CCA International Sales Director, advising:
Model 204 provides connectivity to most platforms through our Connect * Suite with Horizon TCP/IP and alternatively via IBM's Websphere/MQ with MQ/204. Our manuals are available on-line at

http://www.cca-int.com/custsupp/documen ... talog.html
and, in the first instance I would refer you to that with special reference to:-

Connect* Suite
- Connect* Installation Guide
- Connect* Programmer's Guide
- JDBC for Model 204 Programmer's Installation Guide

Horizon TCP/IP and SQL
- Model 204 SQL Connectivity Guide
- Model 204 SQL Error Code Messages
- Model 204 SQL Server User's Guide
So, I now retire to some extensive reading and education in the Model 204 database.

Even if we can connect and source directly from M204, it appears that the performance shortcomings suggested by Vincent would make this approach unlikely. Data volumes are around 60 billion, and the information has been alphabetically partitioned across 11 mainframes during its lifecycle.

I think I am in a situation similar to Craig - in an organisation of thousands there are only three M204 resources, who effectively control the definition, documentation and application of all business rules! And all three are approaching retirement...