tnsnames.ora file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arsheshadri
Participant

tnsnames.ora file

Post by arsheshadri »

Hi,

In one of my job, I am using Oracle Enterprise stage and have set Remote server as "ETL".
I don't have write permission in current tnsnames.ora file under $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, so I have created a new tnsnames.ora file under my home directory and I am connecting to oracle by setting TNS_ADMIN to the new tnsnames.ora which is there in my home dir.

But datastage is still reading the old tnsnames.ora. How can I make datastage to read Remote server from new file?

Thanks & Regards
Sheshadri.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Where did you change this environment variable? You will need to set it in the dsenv file in the DataStage home directory in order for it to take effect.
prabu
Participant

Post by prabu »

As ArndW suggested , search for "TNS" entry in .dsenv file and set it to the new tnsnames.ora file.

open the .dsenv file in vi and do /TNS

1)But my suggestion is .dsenv file should be belonging to the group dsadm too in addition to oracle. So , request your sys admin to make the change or send the tns entries for him to add it. maintaing too many copies of tnsnames.ora will lead to confusion and ambiguity.

2)Also think of other teams which might be getting effected because of your changing ths "TNS" entry.

Also try

Code: Select all

which tnsnames.ora
this will give a transparent answer of which file it is using in your case.

regards,
Prabu
arsheshadri
Participant

Post by arsheshadri »

Thanks guys,

I managed to change tnsnames.ora file finally. Anyway I will try other option too and see if it works.

Thanks & Regards
Sheshadri
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Surely ORACLE_HOME always drives where tnsnames.ora is sought?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not when it's overriden by TNS_ADMIN. It allows you to have one central place to store your tnsnames.ora and associated files, while maintaining multiple ORACLE_HOME values.
Last edited by chulett on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Neat. I already have a use for that.
:D
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.