how to transfer nulls as nulls?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Prabu - I hope the column is nullable - yes.
Since the the error is at export, for test, try with a sequential file to a dataset.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
prabu
Participant

Post by prabu »

kumar_s wrote:Prabu - I hope the column is nullable - yes.
Since the the error is at export, for test, try with a sequential file to a dataset.
Hi Kumar,
Yes, the column is nullable. I miss the point here, why a dataset as target :roll: . my target is a sequentia file and it expects the null to be handled as a pre-requisite.

Any specific pointers on this

regards,
Prabu
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Sorry, I missed. I was about to say Oracle stage to dataset.
And what is the data type of the column, on which datastage complaints.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
dsusr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsusr »

prabu wrote:
kumar_s wrote:Prabu - I hope the column is nullable - yes.
Hi Kumar,
Yes, the column is nullable. I miss the point here, why a dataset as target :roll: . my target is a sequentia file and it expects the null to be handled as a pre-requisite.

Any specific pointers on this

regards,
Prabu

Prabu,

Can you please tell us your understanding of 'Null' because if you just set the property in sequential file as Null Field value ='' it will be similar to Null in Oracle.

--dsusr
prabu
Participant

null , null who holds the key to null!

Post by prabu »

dsusr wrote: Prabu,

Can you please tell us your understanding of 'Null' because if you just set the property in sequential file as Null Field value ='' it will be similar to Null in Oracle.

--dsusr
Hi dsuser,
my target is not Oracle but a sequential file and i want to set the value to "Null" , same eaxact meanining of null . i am exploring to find any system variable instead of a hard-coded value like =". i know you can set the value to any character ~ and decode it as null whenever i read the created target. i can use this decoding logic, if there is no way !
looking for some confirmation

regards,
Prabu
prabu
Participant

Post by prabu »

any volunteers to close it once and for all :oops:

regards,
Prabu
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

Are you using the column for any calculations in stage variable (inside transformer). If yes then you cannot use a nullable variable inside transformer.

And for you other question, a null should be loaded into a delimited sequential file without any transformations required provided all settings a right.