Creating Mainframe jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

aaikat
Participant

Creating Mainframe jobs

Post by aaikat »

Please let me know whether I can extract data from MVS database & transform it using a Parallel job or I need to create a Mainframe job for that.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It can be done, but the politics of getting access to the mainframe system usually means that they produce an extract (using a COBOL program or SQL) into a text file and FTP that to some location that you can process.

You do not specifically require a DataStage mainframe job. Of course, if you do have an edition of DataStage that can create a mainframe job, you can generate the COBOL program that "they" can run on your behalf. This might also look after the FTP phase.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
aaikat
Participant

Post by aaikat »

So,extracting (using COBOL or SQL) MVS data into file & FTP that to some location can be done from Parallel job itself. Right?
meena
Participant

Post by meena »

Hi aaikat...
Yes, you can design a parallel job..I design a server job where we get the data in CFF file...
aaikat wrote:So,extracting (using COBOL or SQL) MVS data into file & FTP that to some location can be done from Parallel job itself. Right?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's by far the most common solution. It means you don't have to be given access to their precious mainframe!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
meena
Participant

Post by meena »

Yes.....