Project Corruption

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

patonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Project Corruption

Post by patonp »

A couple of quick questions...

1. If a project has become corrupt, but I'm still able to export jobs from a specific folder without any error messages, can those jobs be safely imported to a new project or could the export also contain some corruption?

2. Is there a utility that can determine whether a project is corrupt or not?

Thanks!

Peter
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Most of the time a corrupt project can be fixed with DS.TOOLS. If you can export jobs then the project is not that bad. I would try to fix it by reindexing. UVFIXFILE can fix DS_JOBS or DS_JOBOBJECTS. The jobs you export may be worthless. You can export a job that is broken and will not import.

You need to make sure development gets exported daily. There is a nice batch file written by TJ which can automate the export. (Where is TJ lately? Miss your jokes.)
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Depends what you mean by "corrupt". Physical corruption can be tested on a hashed file by hashed file basis with tools such as fixtool or uvfixfile. There is a handy trick where you don't take a backup using uvbackup (that is, you discard the backup image) - the report advises whether there are any corrupt files found.

On UNIX use find to generate a stream of pathnames in and below the project directory, and pipe the output of that into uvbackup.

Code: Select all

find projpath -print > /tmp/projectfiles | uvbackup -f -v -s report.txt - > /dev/null 2>errors.txt
On Windows use uvwalk to capture these pathnames into a file and use that file as input to uvbackup.

uvwalk projpath -recurse > C:\Temp\projectfiles
uvbackup -f -v -s C:\Temp\report.txt -cmdfil C:\Temp\projectfiles > .\NUL 2>C:\Temp\errors.txt
All executables are to be found in the DataStage bin directory. In these examples projpath is the pathname of the project directory. The -cmdfile option of uvbackup can also be used with the UNIX form if preferred.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

So, will errors.txt gives the information about corrupted file?
But it shows " Backing up <filename>".
May I know what other reasons to get this errors, because, "UVFIXFILE <filename>" is giving not error to the hashed file that I got in the errors.txt.
And May I know the actual syntax for backup using this command.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
patonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by patonp »

Thanks for the quick responses.

Kim - you mentioned that..
You can export a job that is broken and will not import.
Does this mean that I can safely attempt to import a dsx export that was taken from a corrupt project? In other words, if there is corruption in the dsx export, can I assume that only uncorrupted objects will be imported so that the new project is not adversely affected by corrupted components?

Cheers,

Peter
Last edited by patonp on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look at the final ten or so lines of errors.txt (or of report.txt).
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Sometimes you can import part of a job. When you pull it up in Designer it says no design time information. There is nothing that says you can save any of these jobs. You can just try to save them.
Mamu Kim
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

ray.wurlod wrote:Look at the final ten or so lines of errors.txt (or of report.txt).
I guess you replied for my query. report.txt doesnt give any error.
grep -v " Backing up" report.txt
--> doesnt give any info other than the header.
And the files in errors.txt is also looking ok.
May be I guess the real error will be stroed while the project is really corrupted.
And May I know the syntax for backup.
uvbackup
(Version 9) uvbackup [options] [file(s)]

-b blk block size (defaults to BLKMAX)
-d daily backup
-f full backup (default)
-l text user supplied label text in quotes
-s file log output to file
-t dev output image to device/path dev
-v{f} File level verbose
-w weekly backup
-V Item level verbose
-rev7 | -2 create backup for release 7.x systems
-rev8 create backup for release 8.x systems
-rev93 create backup for release 9.3 systems
-rev94 create backup for release 9.4 systems
-rev95 create backup for release 9.5 systems
-cmdfil file cmd filename (contains a list of files to backup)
-limit cache# # of shared memory cache to use (defaults to 30)
-delay delay# # of cache to write before dumping (defaults to 15)
-cachedetail displays shared memory cache details
-notag do not update record tags
- file(s) from stdin
file file list

If I give

$uvbackup <inputfile> file <outputfile>
didnt give me any thing.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need at least -f -v -s options as well as a specification of where to get a list of things to back up. The solo "-" means "use stdin".