Input string too long error while compliing job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dalvigirish
Participant

Input string too long error while compliing job

Post by dalvigirish »

I am getting error below while compiling datastage job. I am using very long expression in transformer, I have no other option than using it. Is there any solution for this issue.

Compiling: Source = 'RT_BP48/JOB.1381947501.DT.1408851130.TRANS1', Object = 'RT_BP48.O/JOB.1381947501.DT.1408851130.TRANS1'
*************************************************************************************************************************************************Input string too long, limit 8192
(CUS_Load_Address_Dtl.TRN_Apply_Business_Logic)

Thanks in Adv.
Girish Dalvi
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

may be you can share, Under what curcumstance you are using the long expression, so that you may get a better approach.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

I have no other option than using it
I guess you ar hitting the limit allowed for the max number of characters permissible.
Can't you just replace it with a function?
Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.
dalvigirish
Participant

Post by dalvigirish »

The data on which I am working is not cleansed data. I am cleaning and applying transformation rules in transformar. e.g my address detail tables, 'C/O' string is inputed as 'C / O','C.O','C/ O','C/ '. I am finding all the occurances of these, replacing it with stanard format and based on these, i am updating other columns of o/p tables. Due to these reasons, if-else string is becoming very long.
What is the max length of rule can be written in transformer??

Girish Dalvi
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

dalvigirish wrote:The data on which I am working is not cleansed data. I am cleaning and applying transformation rules in transformar. e.g my address detail tables, 'C/O' string is inputed as 'C / O','C.O','C/ O','C/ '. I am finding all the occurances of these, replacing it with stanard format and based on these, i am updating other columns of o/p tables. Due to these reasons, if-else string is becoming very long.
What is the max length of rule can be written in transformer??

Girish Dalvi
limit is specified in your error message. It is 8192.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

use functions
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Can you use 2 or 3 transformers in cascade? That might reduce the length of your derivation. USe some stage variables to store intermediate results or flag status. This is not very elegant , but if it is a quick fix, then you know what actually causing the error. ALternatively , you can create a function/routine that uses case statements.

Are you using transformer stage in server jobs or basic transformer in patrallel job?