Using Schema file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pwwwchoi
Participant

Using Schema file

Post by pwwwchoi »

Hi,

I'm a newbie about schema file.

As I can see in the Parallel Job Developer's Guide (5-28),

(note, however, that if you have defined
columns on the Columns tab, you should ensure these match the
schema file)

Does that mean the column name and other properties on the Columns tab must match those in schema file? But not all columns must exist in both scheme file and Columns tab?

Thanks!
pwww
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

All columns must exist in one or the other (or both). If runtime column propagation is disabled, all columns must exist in the link properties irrespective of what is in the schema file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pwwwchoi
Participant

Post by pwwwchoi »

Just wanna clarify if my understanding is correct :)

e.g. Schema file has column "Car Code", "Car Name", "Car Description"

When RCP (runtime column propagation is disable

Column tabs of output link must have "Car Code", "Car Name", "Car Description", i.e. all columns.

When RCP (runtime column propagation is disable

Column tabs of output link can omit some columns. i.e. "Car Code", "Car Name" only is okay.
pwww
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I do not use RCP, as it interferes with proper metadata management. Someone else will have to confirm this for you. It seems to accord with the description of RCP in the manual.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Klaus Schaefer
Participant

Post by Klaus Schaefer »

Even with RCP off you can work with a dataset and a partial schema definition. You can treat it like a relational table...

Once the dataset has been written, for reading it you can specify just the columns you need.

Klaus