Error on subtraction of two decimal(19,3) number

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

alphac
Participant

Error on subtraction of two decimal(19,3) number

Post by alphac »

Hi, all

I have experienced that when I subtract two numbers,
datastage always give wrong results in the decimal places.

e.g. 123456789012345.123 - 0.000 ==> 123456789012345.xxx

I have changed related environment variables in Project but seems no
effect.

Does anyone know how to solve it ?
alphac
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I doubt very much that it gives "xxx" as the fractional digits. Please advise one or two specific cases of incorrect subtraction, and whether it's all subtractions that give a wrong result, or only the occasional one.

I presume you are using a parallel Transformer stage here? Have you inspected the generated code?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
alphac
Participant

Post by alphac »

Hi, ray

As mentioned, it always gives wrong answer in decimal places

e.g.
123456789012345.123 - 0.000 ==> 123456789012345.058
123456789012345.123 - 0.001 ==> 123456789012345.121

Not only the subtraction encountered this problem but also
using parallel function "NullToZero()".

I have tested that if a decimal number have 15 digits (exclude those decimal places ), the results will be wrong.

I am wondering it is the data type declaration of parallel function is not large enough to store the decimal number ...
(
alphac
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If what you say is true, and I'm not doubting you, then you may have uncovered a bug? What are the data type declarations in the generated C++ code?

I think your next step must be to report this suspected bug through your support provider. They will need a clearly documented reproducible case.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
alphac
Participant

Post by alphac »

Thank you, ray.

Let me report this issue and kindly share my experience to the others.
alphac
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

May I know what is the values for APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_SCALE and
APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_PRECISION?
Have you changed it, if so what is the new value?
Have you tried to set APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_ROUND_MODE to "Discard any unrepresentable fractional digits"
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
alphac
Participant

Post by alphac »

Hi, kumar_s

Lets for sharing.
I have change setting of APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_SCALE and APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_PRECISION but never change on APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_ROUND_MODE.

It is now APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_SCALE = 38 and
APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_PRECISION = 10

Make APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_SCALE and APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_PRECISION larger could not fix the captioned issue.

What is the purpose of changing parameter "APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_ROUND_MODE" ?
alphac
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

By default the value of "APT_DECIMAL_INTERM_ROUND_MODE" would be "Round towards nearest representable value". You can experiment whether, change in this prarameter causes any difference in your issue.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

By my understanding the ...INTERM... environment variables are for intermediate values, for example results within expressions that are not the final result. I believe that in the case that prompted this post we are looking at a final result, and that therefore the ...INTERM... environment variables will have no effect. But I'm happy to learn if it turns out not to be the case.
alphac
Participant

Post by alphac »

I've tested but seems these three ...INTERM... parameters do not affected the results.

Thanks for your suggestions again.
alphac