Sequence restart

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mab_arif16
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sequence restart

Post by mab_arif16 »

Hi
I am scheduling a sequence using cron tab ,I have the add checkpoints options clicked ,
1.When the cron tab fires the sequence again will the sequence be reset or it just runs from where it failed when the job aborts

2. when the sequence aborts and I want to reset(clear check points) and run it from the start rather than starting at the point where it failed .But if I remove the option of remove check points I have to manually reset it .can a sequence reset itself automatically.or everytime it fails it needs to reset manually.

thanks
Arif
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No kind of job can reset itself. It must be reset from a higher level. Perhaps you need to build a master job sequence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
splayer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by splayer »

Arif, can you tell me how you are executing the sequence from crontab? Are you using dsrun and the shell script name which has the job sequencer?
mab_arif16
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by mab_arif16 »

ray.wurlod wrote:No kind of job can reset itself. It must be reset from a higher level. Perhaps you need to build a master job sequence.
What if the master sequence aborts or stops(if stopped manually).One more issue I am having is crontab fires the sequence every hour ,and sometimes the sequence takes more than one hour to run ,then I get a warning sequence must be reset.Is there some way we can automate the check of job status before starting the sequence either through datastage or shell script.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Have a shell script do the execution of the sequence. And this shell will be executed using crontab.
As Ray has mentioned you need to have a master control to perform this. The shell in this case would act as a master control and would wait for each job/Sequence(which ever you are executing) to be finished and then start the other one.
For the restartability you need to have a master control sequence to enjoy the facility of restartability.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Any Job which aborts during a run, should be
1. Reset in order to Run again or
2. Compiled again.

In Job Sequences you usually set your Job activity run mode to Reset if required, then run so that if your Job aborts in a run, it is reset during the next run before it starts running.

The Aborted/Restartable property of Job sequence is useful when you want to restart the Job from the point where it failed. Else you can always let it finish but unchecking the Automatically handle failure activities or handling the failures yourself.

When the Master sequence aborts/stops, you have run it manually so that it starts from where it failed. or Reset it so that it starts running from the beginning. The idea behind not able to run a scheduled aborted Job as far as I can think is, it gives you time and lets you fix the error before it is run again else you can always run it manually.

IHTH
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Compiled again" is not always an option in production environments.

Use a shell script or master job sequence to determine the current status, reset if required, then run in normal mode.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.