Creating a shared container

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Creating a shared container

Post by seanc217 »

Hi there,

I want to create a parallel shared container that will convert any invalid characters that are in the data to spaces or empty strings. So, in my container job I have a tranformer to convert the fields passing through using the convert function. If I have runtime column propegation on, how would I convert the fields using the convert option? or can I not do it that way?

I read through the documentation but it did not say too much about this.

Thanks for any help.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You must specify any field on which you want to perform any kind of operation (such as Trim() in your case). Therefore RCP is not going to help. Nor is a shared container unless metadata are identical. Investigate propagating derivation expression ("derivation substitution") within the Transformer stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by seanc217 »

Thanks for the reply Ray.
Where can I find information on this?

Is it in the documentation?

Thanks,

Sean
seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by seanc217 »

OK I saw that information in the documentation. I guess what I am trying to do is to create a library of functions that I could use in multiple jobs. So there would be no questions about what to do in certain cases. For example always convert char(0) to empty string. I guess there is no way to do something like this exept to write a c routine. Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Or a BuildOp (one kind of custom stage).

Or just rely on the fact that C strings are null-terminated; that is, Char(0) is already "".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.