Can we read directly from an Excel file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Can we read directly from an Excel file

Post by nvalia »

My source file is coming from Windows Env and is in Excel format.
Can I read from it through DS on a Unix Env without having to manually convert it to a .csv file?
Pls reply ASAP.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Please note that ASAP is something you pay for in the software industry, and since this is a volunteer site you usually will get a slower response when you use the terms ASAP or urgent in the post; much of the time I will not even answer that type of question for a couple of hours.

Excel can be read in to DataStage using the ODBC interface. When the datastage server is on Windows and the Excel file is on Windows then the free ODBC drivers can be used.

On UNIX there are no free ODBC drivers to Excel so you cannot directly read Excel or Access files. You can purchase third party drivers for UNIX (DataDirect is one vendor that springs to mind) and if you do have that software you can read Excel and Access directly from your UNIX server.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Can we read directly from an Excel file

Post by ray.wurlod »

nvalia wrote:Pls reply ASAP.
"ASAP"

:lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

anrd always says he wont reply to URGENT and always provides the solution...lol..
Shree0410
Participant

Post by Shree0410 »

Can this be achieved this way.

convert the excel file as csv, ftp the file to a file path on the UNIX both, then read the file as a source file with sequential file stage..
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Krazykoolrohit wrote:...anrd always says he wont reply to URGENT and always provides the solution...lol..
I only do that when it is a really easy answer that you could get by using GOOGLE and I would feel like a cad for not answering :D

p.s. Shree, if you read the original question you will see that the poster wanted to avoid doing exactly the solution you have supplied.
Shree0410
Participant

Post by Shree0410 »

sorry, I was little excited to the fact that I was able to answer one question..;-)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

lol - I know that feeling; I'll retract my comment.

Nevertheless, without investing in expensive 3rd party ODBC software your route is the most viable option.
nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Reading from an Excel file directly in UNIX environment

Post by nvalia »

How about the Java Client plug in stage? It is availabe in the Server edition and can do what I am looking for. Is is available in Datastage PX?