How to use the structure file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Shree0410
Participant

How to use the structure file

Post by Shree0410 »

Hi, My project has this SAP as the source system and the source data file has 100+ columns.

This is an integration project between different systems, the order of the SAP source structure is not fixed(or completely determined at this poitn) until their build is complete.

My DataStage first job has to to read this SAP file and do further processing. This 100+ column filed keeps changing from their meetings and discussions and I end up changing my datastage job's source metadata which is tedious due to too many fields.

Is there a way I can get around with this?
SAP system gives me the data file and also the structure file(in csv format). Can I, in any way use this structure file to create the metadata on my job or in anyway use that file to save the layout in my DataStage table definitions?

please help!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Two words: design freeze.

Inform them that every change that requires you to re-work your solution is costing them more at your hourly rate, and is likely to slip the project schedule further.

As a general rule, "dynamic metadata" can't be done out of the box.

There was an attempt some years back to provide an API that allowed you to build (server) jobs on the fly; this was quietly dropped without explanation.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.