datastage xe/390

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

khaja.arshad
Participant

datastage xe/390

Post by khaja.arshad »

Hello All

can any one please provide me isome nformation on xe/390. i would like to know benifits of using xe/390, compared to PX and Server edition.

as Iam new to datastage it would be great help.

Thanks

Arshad
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage 390 generates COBOL and JCL which are run on a mainframe running OS/390. Do you have one of these? If not, your choice is already made.

There is an extra charge for a DataStage 390 licence.

Parallel and server job run on UNIX (or Windows) servers, and can access mainframe data through gateways (such as DB2 Connect) but more usually access data that have been "pushed" from the mainframe.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
khaja.arshad
Participant

xe/390

Post by khaja.arshad »

Thanks Ray for reply

we have a mainframe source in that we have comp-3 field and it is going to be landed in to unix..in our discussion and came to know that the packed field will get garbage values when it landed in to unix.actually we are looking to know how ds xe/390 will handle mainframe data.

can we access mainframe data directly with out FTP

Thanks

Arshad
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No. Even with DS 390 you would use an FTP stage to transfer data to the UNIX server.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
khaja.arshad
Participant

xe/390

Post by khaja.arshad »

Thanks Ray for reply

Will you please give some more information how ds xe/390 will handle the packed field/column

Thanks a lot

Arshad
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It would be better if you research this yourself. The mainframe.pdf guide is part of the standard DataStage manuals. Read about the various file handling stage types, particularly Chapters 3 and 4.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And you don't need DS390 to handle packed fields or 'mainframe' data, Server and PX jobs can just as well once the data is on their server. Check out the Complex Flat File (CFF) stage for one way to handle them.
khaja.arshad wrote:came to know that the packed field will get garbage values when it landed in to unix
Only if you do it incorrectly! :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers