Can we run a DS Job not sequence from Mainframes

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chrisjones
Participant

Post by chrisjones »

HI ,
i want small clarification.
Thanks,
Chris Jones
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

I am not 100% sure but Datastage only supports UNIX/Windows server i.e. if you are talking about server/parallel jobs but if you are talking about MVS jobs then running in the Mainframes is the only way to go.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Do you mean "start" a PX job running via a call from a mainframe? The answer is that the command line Unix program dsjob doesn't care who runs that program.

If you mean, can you run PX or Server jobs on a mainframe? The answer is NO. That's why DS/390 exists.

Do you mean can you run PX or Server jobs on a mainframe linux partition? I believe the answer is yes, if you have the linux version of PX and Server. It used to be that Redhat was supported, but I remember seeing something about using your mainframe to run Redhax on a linux partition.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

you can fire it from mainframe using CA7 or any other mainframe scheduling tool.
rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Can we run a DS Job not sequence from Mainframes

Post by rwierdsm »

Chris,

We run our DataStage jobs from the Mainframe at my current client. A host utility called 'Universal Command' that has a component on the host and on our DS server is used. A call is made to the utility and a SYSIN specifies executables, parameters and some error handling.

Rob
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Rob,
Can Datastage server be a Mainframe?
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

If you red the "installation and upgrade guide" provided with your datastage installation, you can get some pointers.

It says that there exists a "enterpirise MVS edition" of datastage which will allow you to develop jobs in mainframes.

Please read it for further information
rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rwierdsm »

kris007 wrote:Rob,
Can Datastage server be a Mainframe?
We aren't running it that way.

I'm not too familiar with the MVS version, but I don't believe that the engine runs on the mainframe, it just translates the code to COBOL which in turn runs up on the mainframe.

Rob
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

I think all utilities which runs on mainframes work the same way. even when datastage runs in unix. it translates the code into a language (orchestrate) unix understands.

which other way you expecting datastage to run:-P lol
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Krazykoolrohit wrote:I think all utilities which runs on mainframes work the same way. even when datastage runs in unix. it translates the code into a language (orchestrate) unix understands.

which other way you expecting datastage to run:-P lol
Not with regards to mainframes. DS/390 is totally separate framework, just like RTI and Server and PX are based on different underlying frameworks.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are two choices.

The Enterprise MVS Edition generates COBOL and JCL, which are transferred to the mainframe and executed there. These are only "mainframe" jobs, quite different from both server and parallel jobs.

The other choice is UNIX Support Services (USS) in which part of the mainframe is partitioned off to run UNIX services. DataStage parallel engine can be installed on USS; there are instructions for doing so in Chapter 8 of the Install and Upgrade Guide (dsupgde.pdf), and indeed there are questions on using USS in the certiification exam. You can run parallel jobs in the USS environment.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.