Is there any limit for Stage variables in one transformer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

panchusrao2656
Charter Member
Charter Member

Is there any limit for Stage variables in one transformer

Post by panchusrao2656 »

How many stage variables one can use in one transformer, i had a case where i am using 40+ stage variables.I got compilation errors then i used two tarnsformers(with 20 stage variables each) with a copy stage in between.

Can i use back to back trasformers(or Active stages like Lookup,Join) with out having a dummy stage in between. Does this create any performance problems when the #of records is huge.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

can you post the error?

I am not sure about the limit but 20 is certainly not that number.
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

Hi Rao,

There is no such limit on the use of stage variables but it all depends on what conditions or constraints you are working with. You can use two active stages together.

Thanks
Sam
panchusrao2656
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by panchusrao2656 »

I donot have the log now, one of my friend is using 60+ stage variables in one transformer, then we split them by adding two more transformers. It worked fine later.
panchusrao2656
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by panchusrao2656 »

Hi us1aslam1us,

Can you explain briefly what happens when we use multiple active stages without having any dummy stages in between.

For example, i need to extract data based on keys which i cannot use them in one lookup stage or join stage. Don't we run out of memory.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

I have used almost 30 stage variables some time in a single transformer.

you must be sure about how the stage variabels work ie they get compiled before the columns from top to bottom.

If you can post the error it would have been a great help in understanding your issue
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

panchusrao2656 wrote:Hi us1aslam1us,

Can you explain briefly what happens when we use multiple active stages without having any dummy stages in between.

For example, i need to extract data based on keys which i cannot use them in one lookup stage or join stage. Don't we run out of memory.
Rao,

As far as i know when u process two active stages, in the background a passive stage will be defaulted in these two active stages.

If you can elaborate more on your design and what problem you are facing, Atleast some one from the premium posters can throw some light on memory and performance issues.

Sam
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Not to mention that it is probably poor form to have 60 stage variables in a single transformer! Maybe look at separating into two (2) or possibly more.

Regards,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The most stage variables I have used in a Transformer stage is 220. It was successful.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

The most stage variables I have used in a Transformer stage is 220. It was successful.
Just because you can does not mean you should :shock:
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The fact that you are asking this question motivates me to ask: do you really think this is a good design? How about moving a lot of that logic into a custom function or buildop?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

panchusrao2656 wrote:Hi us1aslam1us,

Yes the many stage you use, the more the memory it occupies.
By default there are some staeges which can combine during compilating and runtime to act as a single process, and this is enabled by COMBINALBE option avaialble both in project level and stage levels.
It is not nessary that each stage will contibute to single stage, there are some case where one can lead to two or more and where in some case, it will be very light in such a way that it wont impose any process at all.
You can find more in detail in Operators guide/Orchestrate guide.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
panchusrao2656
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by panchusrao2656 »

Thank you for sharing your ideas
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

int8 stage variables consume only one byte - most of my 220 were int8
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
panchusrao2656
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by panchusrao2656 »

The fields we were using are Decimals ( In Oracle they were defined as Numbers, so by default it is treating them as Decimal (38,10) ). Besides these we have a total of 300+ input fields & nearly 30+ million records.

We had all kinds of troubles before splitting the stage variables among multiple transformers.

Ray,

Do you suggest using multiple active stages like Join,Lookup,Transformer without any passive stages in between.Can you explain theimpact of using those. I am trying to avoid back to back active stages by keeping a copy stage in between.

Thank You