Schema File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Schema File

Post by rwierdsm »

All,

By searching the forum on the string 'schema file' I determined how to generate some examples of schema files, however, I'm not getting what I expected.

I have a file defined in a Column Import stage that has has a record delimiter string defined for the Record Level and a Delimiter string defined on the Field Defaults on the Output tab. When I Save Table Definition from the columns tab, go to Manager and edit the Table Definition, I don't see the values I defined for record delimiter string or delimiter string.

What I get is below:

Code: Select all

record
  {final_delim=end, delim=',', quote=double}
(
  RECORD_TYPE:string[3];
  NUMBER:string[max=10] {prefix=2};
  Blah, blah, blah - you get the point;
)
Nowhere in the stage is final_delim, delim or quote defined, much less to these values :? .

How do I get the schema file to document my values? If manage to guess what labels will allow me to define record delimiter string, i.e. rec_delim_str instead of final_delim :?: , will an import actually specify these values?

BTW, I also tried to save the table definition from the Sequential File stage that the column import stage feeds - same result.

Rob
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

I see the defaults defined in the import stage in the outputs tab in the format tab in the stage. Both in the table definition and Manager therefore I don't understand the question. In the format tab at the record level is clearly the final_delimiter = end and at the field defaults level is delimiter = , and Quote= double. The schema file will document and use the vlaues you assign.

You cannot access the format tab in any of those three places?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Technically you did, through inaction, define the final delimiter and other properties. These have to appear in the schema file so that the record layout is properly understood. The mere fact that you chose to accept default values for these properties doesn't affect this need.

However, record delimiter of "end of line" or "line terminator" can be understood when final delimiter is "end", so that does not need to be in the schema file. Final delimiter is a delimiter character that might appear after the final field, but before the end of the line - for example a comma-delimited record might have a final delimiter of ";" before the actual end of line.

When you open the table definition in the Repository and click on the Layout tab, then choose Parallel option, is the schema displayed according to your expectations there? You might see, for example, record_delim='\n' in this listing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
emma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by emma »

Try this
final_delim =end_of_record
and check if you saved the file as UTF-8 NO BOM format
Thanks,
Emma
rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rwierdsm »

Ray, Emma,

Thanks and Merci Beaucoup for the input.
ray.wurlod wrote:When you open the table definition in the Repository and click on the Layout tab, then choose Parallel option, is the schema displayed according to your expectations there? You might see, for example, record_delim='\n' in this listing.
Nope, it's not displaying what I had hoped.

In the meantime, I've been told that some of the Orchestrate docs go into more detail on the schema file, so I'll delve into those.

I'll let the thread know what I find.

Rob
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rwierdsm »

After a long interlude, I have found the documentation that I'm looking for.

The set of Orchestrate manuals I had access to at the time did not go into any particular detail on this topic. Since then I have found
- RecordSchema.pdf
- to a lesser extent, OpsRef.pdf

The first document goes into specifics on the labels to use in the record properties section of the schema file while the Operators Reference guide has some good examples if you search for them.

Thanks to Ray, who had a more complete set of manuals at the Server to Parallel Transition course! :)

Rob
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com