Jobs not firing

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

opdas
Participant

Jobs not firing

Post by opdas »

Hi,
We have a problem here which started couple of days earlier. We have scheduled our jobs through Tivoli workflow Manager but lately we notice that the jobs fail to fire .
We have tried to fire jobs from Director/Disigner but some times it happens that the jobs does not reponds to the run button.
What might be the cause of the problem, this happens with any of the job.

Regards
Om Prakash
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

What do you mean not respond? No effect at all. What about through the command line? When you go into the dirctor, whats the jobstatus there? Any funny log file messages?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is the "Run' button even enabled?

If it isn't, then your job is not in a runnable state. Status view in Director should indicate whether this is the case. In Log view you will be able to see whether it starts and stops, or fails to start at all.

Research that and let us know the result.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

Let me answer one by one:
Clicking on the button doesn't effect.
Status on Director shows the Run button enable all the time
In Log view the we could only find the log of last run log.
No Funny log messages.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What is the actual status of the job, as reported by Director? (For example, the behaviour you describe would occur if the status were "Not Compiled".)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

need to know the job status from the director. Also in your designer, try running it via the keyboard, i think its F9. You can check the shortcut by going to File.
Do all the developers at your end face this issue?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

Yes we have tried firing it through keyboard but again the job wont run, the status would be still runnable (run button is enabled).
The funny thing is it runs from command line from server.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

The funny thing is it runs from command line from server.
Do you mean to say only from server machine and not even in any of your client machine. How do you call from Tivoli workflow Manager, is it same as the command used to call from server?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

Yes, it is. A shell script is called from Tivoli.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Have you tried running the same shell script from server command prompt?
Try to run the dsjob comand from the client command prompt directly?
But you are sure about compiling from client isnt a issue?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I just checked it today, to run from keyboard, open the job and press Ctrl+F5. See if that works.
A really strange problem :roll:
opdas
Participant

Post by opdas »

Yes, I have tried all types of method even try running shell script from server which runs fine too. The only thing left is I should try running from client command propmt.
I'll post my results then.