sybase parallel extract

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jasper
Participant

sybase parallel extract

Post by jasper »

When using the Sybase OC stage to read data there is the option to work parallel (stage-advanced tab, execution mode).
In the oracle stage there is something likewise, but there you have some control about how it will run parallel because it askes for a partition table. In sybase we don't seem to have any control about how it works.

Does anyone know something about the internal mechanism how the partitiong of data is done(on oracle it uses rowid's) and maybe how we can control it?

related question: if we would use this stage on a sybase IQ, what would be the effect (There is a seperate IQ-load stage, but not for reading).
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Since no one responded to this post, I am interested in hearing about experiences with Sybase IQ working with PX. How is the partitioning done on a table? Is a parallel read with divide and conquer method being used on a "SELECT * FROM table" type query?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
jasper
Participant

Post by jasper »

well, luckily for me this was a one-time only experience.
I didn't get the parallel read working on IQ. If you define more then one node, it just executes the full query on every node.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Was the Sybase IQ table partitioned? Search the forum for how DB2 users included the partitioning variables in the WHERE clause.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.