Structure Server/Parallel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tostay2003
Participant

Structure Server/Parallel

Post by tostay2003 »

Hi,

We have current jobs/sequences done in server 7.5.1. Planning to have 7.5.2 where we want to do the jobs in Parallel.

Can we have the Sequences used in the server intact?? i.e. We currently have routines/jobs build up to get the data from database and load as job parameters into the job activities (via User Activity).

Can we use the same routines/jobs to load job parameters into job activities (via User Activity).

As far as the sequences are concerned, will it matter if they r server jobs or parallel jobs?

Regards
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Structure Server/Parallel

Post by sud »

Hi,

The sequences will be intact. :)
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
tostay2003
Participant

Post by tostay2003 »

Sorry, by intact, i meant, can I use the same sequences, except that in job activities this time i will be calling parallel jobs (we didnt get the parallel extender yet, so no chance to try them yet).

presumably yes, but just wanna double confirm.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

The Sequencers will operate as they do in 7.5.1, as long as you donot make the change to the code of the Sequencers. Adding new logic like looping activity may need re-design, depending how it is used.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

tostay2003 wrote:Sorry, by intact, i meant, can I use the same sequences, except that in job activities this time i will be calling parallel jobs
Hi,

The point is there is no separate thing called server job sequence and parallel job sequence. Hence, it really does not matter which type of job you are about to call. It will always work.

:)
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

However, unless you change the jobs referred to in the Job activities, they will still be the server jobs. There is no magic means by which jobs can automatically be migrated to parallel equivalents merely because you have installed Enterprise Edition.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

ray.wurlod wrote:However, unless you change the jobs referred to in the Job activities, they will still be the server jobs. There is no magic means by which jobs can automatically be migrated to parallel equivalents merely because you have installed Enterprise Edition.
Exactly,

Infact, if you just change the jobs from server to parallel, keeping the same job name, u wont even have to recompile ur sequences. They will invoke the same jobs i.e., jobnames and it will end up invoking the new parallel jobs which have replaced the old server jobs. The parameters for the job obviously have to remain the same even for the parallel job for otherwise u will have to alter the sequence and pass the additional parameter values.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Create parallel versions of each job you want to replace. Only replace your high volume and slow jobs, no reason to replace the smaller jobs. Use the copy parameters utility to copy the standard set of parameters into each of your parallel jobs. Give your jobs the same names as the server edition with a standard prefix or suffix.

With your sequence jobs export them, change the job name in the export file to have the new suffix/prefix and import them again. This will switch them across to the parallel jobs.