warning on sequential file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sudhakar_viswa
Participant

warning on sequential file

Post by sudhakar_viswa »

Hi,

I am getting the following warning while exporting data into sequential file.
I am taking the data from sequential file and dataset and then i am doing join then i am populating data into sequntial file.

Warning:-
Sequential_File_8: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "Field001": Exporting nullable field without null handling properties

And one more thing the date column gettoing all the *'s instead of date.

Thanks,
sudhakar
i need to know datastage
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

sudhakar,

both errors are common in EE. The first one is that you have stated that Field001 is nullable, but you haven't told DS what to do when reading froma sequential file. Do a "edit row" on that column in the sequential file stage to set the attributes.
The second means that you have a metadata mismatch on the data field and since EE cannot parse the value it uses all "*"'s to show that.
ajit
Participant

Re:

Post by ajit »

Perhaps you are having Field001 nullable Yes, but did not handle it. You can handle it by clicking the target Sequential_File_8 stage and do the following
Goto Input>Columns.
Double Click the serial number assosciated with the column at left.
You get Edit Column MetaData
Go to Nullable option
Click on Null Field Value
You need to enter the null field value
This I think will solve the first problem
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

*'s also apear if you dont get a match (join) in the two input record set, and as a result nullify the date field. Which produces the value you got.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
patrickmn10
Participant

Post by patrickmn10 »

Hi,

I am getting the following error
Sequential_File_1: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "HIREDATE": "null_field" length (1) must match field's fixed width (19)

Sequential_File_1: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "SAL": "null_field" length (1) must match field's fixed width (9)

I tried from the above comments, going columns tab and edit to have null value field value, still gives the above error. Pls help.

Thanks
Patrick
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Its familiar warning of yours. Have you tried the suggested solution on the other post regarding schema file.
the nullable field value is given as single character where as the total lenght of HIREDATE is 19.
Is it in target or in source file. Are you mentioning any Nullable field value to these fields?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
patrickmn10
Participant

Post by patrickmn10 »

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for the reply, Actuall this am not able to resolve this issue. Take the case COMM field which decimal(7,2), when set null field value 0 or 0000000.00 or 00000000. If the COMM field value is null, it is not recognizing and showing zero values. When viewing (View data) from the Sequential stage, it showing only records whose values are not null. Total record rejected. I don't know what i am missing. But If I change COMM field as varchar then it works. Can you help on this issue?. It's just sequential stage, when viewing or running it rejects or shows an error as mentioned in my previous question. Appreciate Ur help.

Thanks
Patrick
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

patrickmn10 wrote:Hi Kumar,

Thanks for the reply, Actuall this am not able to resolve this issue. Take the case COMM field which decimal(7,2), when set null field value 0 or 0000000.00 or 00000000. If the COMM field value is null, it is not recognizing and showing zero values. When viewing (View data) from the Sequential stage, it showing only records whose values are not null. Total record rejected. I don't know what i am missing. But If I change COMM field as varchar then it works. Can you help on this issue?. It's just sequential stage, when viewing or running it rejects or shows an error as mentioned in my previous question. Appreciate Ur help.

Thanks
Patrick
Set Null_Field_Value to spaces ' ' and padchar to space or NULL , set these properties in General section instead of editing each field property.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
patrickmn10
Participant

Post by patrickmn10 »

Kris,

I tried as per Ur suggestion, still I am not able to resolve, You can try here is my data and strucuture:

I have given field defaults as
Delimeter=|
Null field value=''

In Type defaults :
General
Pad char = space

My Structure is EMP NO -- Integer
COMM -- decimal 7,2
deptno -- Integer

Data is as follows :
32||20
32|303.00|30
232|304.00|30
3223||20
223|308.30|40

Results shows as
32|00303.00|30
232|00304.00|30
223|00308.30|40

Missing Null value records, Please let me know if you have idea where I am doing wrong.
[/quote]
Set Null_Field_Value to spaces ' ' and padchar to space or NULL , set these properties in General section instead of editing each field property.[/quote]
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

patrickmn10 wrote:Kris,

Data is as follows :
32||20
32|303.00|30
232|304.00|30
3223||20
223|308.30|40

Results shows as
32|00303.00|30
232|00304.00|30
223|00308.30|40

Missing Null value records, Please let me know if you have idea where I am doing wrong.
By result you mean as seen from source seq_stage or target seqstage view data? , if target, try to identify where the records are getting rejected, is it at the target sequential stage or even before that and also put some reject link and enable reject handling properties.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
patrickmn10
Participant

Post by patrickmn10 »

Kris,

Thanks again for Ur reply, My problem is resolved actually I should just take care COMM field which has null values. I gave null field value='' and pad char space as suggested by you. Thanks again. It works even for schema file also. What I did for schema file strucuture I took defn SHOW OSH defn and mapped and now i am able to map and see results at the target .

Thanks
Patrick
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Iam wondering how you manage to give null field value='' to COMM field which is decimal(7,2).
patrickmn10
Participant

Post by patrickmn10 »

I don't know i was able to see the data, what u suggest for if the decimal field value is null?. i tried to give 0 or 000000.00. it didn't work.
my_stm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by my_stm »

Hi,

I'm getting the similar error.

Sequential_File_68: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "COL_NM": "null_field" length (6) must match field's fixed width (16)

I tried on EDIT_COLUMN -> adding the null value field as 0.0000 or null or 0 but still having the same error

Any idea to solve those warning?

Tahnk you
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Etiquette Note
This is not the same error, nor is it a similar error. The original problem was about non-supply of default values when exporting nullable fields.
Your problem is about Null Field Value property. Please either search for the solution (it is out there) and/or start a new thread.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.