The section leader on bdwux407_udb1.service.com died

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ratan Babu N
Participant

The section leader on bdwux407_udb1.service.com died

Post by Ratan Babu N »

Hi,
when I tried to run my DS Sequencer through the script, the sequencer is Aborted with the following message.

main_program: The section leader on bdwux407_udb1.service.com died

Plz clarify what this message is ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A parallel job is like an orchestra. There is one conductor process exerting overall control. On each processing node there is a section leader process exerting control over all the player processes (one per stage, unless combined) on that processing node.

For some reason, the section leader process on the indicated node has died (either aborted - in which case resetting the job may bring more diagnostic information into the job log) or "someone" has killed the process.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Ratan Babu N
Participant

Post by Ratan Babu N »

ray.wurlod wrote:A parallel job is like an orchestra. There is one conductor process exerting overall control. On each processing node there is a section leader process exerting control over all the player processes ...
Under what circumstances this section leader process can die?

suppose if i run a job that process millions of records, can it cause
section leader process to death. so that if others also tried to run there jobs, it will also get aborted.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If number of process increased which may exceed the capacity of the section leader for that particular time to handle or may be even if communicaiton between the conductor and Section leader fails.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The whole point of PX is to process huge volumes. It is usually some external event, such as a kill command, that kills DataStage process. If it is an internal event, you may see a core file where that process executes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.