Extra column

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

thatiprashant
Participant

Extra column

Post by thatiprashant »

hi,,

i am very much new to datastage, i am trying to add an extra column to an exisiting columns.. is there any stage with which we can do this.

thanks
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Where exactly are you trying to add this column. Is it in between the job to do some transformation or is it in your target. With that said, you can always use Transformer stage to append or insert a new column.

HTH
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Welcome aboard,
As kris mentioned, solution to your question depends upon where exactly do you want to add a column
If its just a flat file, lookup set or a database; you can go in the columns tab and either manually edit or import
If the source has 4 columns and you want 5 columns in the target (whatever it maybe), just pass it through the transformer, manually edit/add a column or import from a saved schema, to your target and that shall do the trick.
If your quest is any different, then please elaborate your question with specific examples.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
thatiprashant
Participant

Post by thatiprashant »

thanks a lot for ur reply guys, i was trying to add in transformer..
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

As mentioned, you can just go in and manually insert a column. Or if you have that particular column saved somewhere, just import it by hitting the Load Column Definition button (a block with a red arrow facing right) inside the transformer.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Another possibility is a Column Generator stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rony_daniel
Participant

Post by rony_daniel »

ray.wurlod wrote:Another possibility is a Column Generator stage. ...
If the requirement is to just add a new column to the taget then Ray's suggestion would be better as transformer takes a toll on performance.