Accessing Data from Mainframe system

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Accessing Data from Mainframe system

Post by mandyli »

Hi,

In our project one of our source system from Mainframe files. Any
special stage for accsessing maniframe file in the DS 7.5.

please help me put.

Thanks
man
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It depends on what's in the file. A Sequential File stage may be enough, otherwise a Complex Flat File stage can manage almost anything a mainframe application can generate.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

What do you mean by 'accessing' the mainframe file? Do you mean

1) you have a file generated on the mainframe but now residing on your DataStage client (Windows or Unix)?

2) Or do you mean literally accesing the file ON the mainframe from within DataStage?

If (1), then see Ray's posting. There is very little that the mainframe can produce that DataStage can't read and process with either the Sequential file stage or the Complex File stage.

If (2), then check out the FTP stage. I have not used it personally, but I know I have seen posting from people who have used it for pulling and sending files. I would imagine that it works just fine against a mainframe as well. However, since it is a mainframe file (in EBCDIC format), then you probably need to transfer the file in binary format so that packed data is not lost or corrupted by automatic (and unintelligent) EBCDIC-to-ASCII conversion.

While I am on the topic of file transfer, it seems to me that NDM is a pretty universal data transfer utility, especially between mainframe and non-mainframe systems. It has all sorts of built in compression, encryption, security, etc. I think there should be an NDM stage in DataStage. Ray, could you quick whip one up and post it for us all to use? :lol:

Brad.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This is the parallel forum. You can create your own Custom stage to invoke NDM. Go for it!
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

ray.wurlod wrote:This is the parallel forum. You can create your own Custom stage to invoke NDM. Go for it!
Aww, Ray, you mean between business travel, training, seminars, conferences, consulting, etc. you have no 'free' time? Bummer. I'm too lazy to do it myself... :) I think I'll just post it on the Enhancements wish list instead.

Brad.
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

There is also the USS option? This allows PX job to run directly on the MainFrame (within a USS environment)
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

What is USS?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1. "UNIX Support Systems" - a mechanism for running UNIX in a partition of a mainframe (typically AIX on OS/390).

2. The prefix used for names of vessels in the United States navy. :lol: