Ftp'ng a file in compressed format

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gopskrish
Participant

Ftp'ng a file in compressed format

Post by gopskrish »

Hi,

Since some of our files are very big, I want to ftp the same in Zipped format using datastage. Can anyone throw me some light on how to go about it. I have ftp'ed a sequential flat file successfully using sequential file stage and ftp stage but not sure how to do that for a compressed file.
Please throw me some light on that.
Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Krish
I am verymuch interested to learn an ETL tool and i find datastage as the best one to do so.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The FTP stage in DS has the advantage that it transmits the data row-by-row. If you gzip/tar/compress your file then it makes much more sense to use the normal ftp from UNIX or (even better) a rcp or scp. You can call operating system commands from almost anywhere in DS.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ArndW wrote:The FTP stage in DS has the advantage that it transmits the data row-by-row.
Some would consider that a disadvantage. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
gopskrish
Participant

Post by gopskrish »

Hi ArndW,

Thanks a lot for an immediate response.
I have a similar doubt regarding Mqueue. Can i do the similar functionality (Mqueue the file in compressed format). I am very new to the mqueue stuffs.
Thanks.

Best Regards,
Krish
I am verymuch interested to learn an ETL tool and i find datastage as the best one to do so.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Mqueue series are not files, but data constructs or a communication protocol and I don't think that they can be compressed into files and transmitted.
gopskrish
Participant

Post by gopskrish »

Hi Arndw,

Thanks once again for the immediate response.
Now i can think of writing some scripts for the above functionality.

Thanks.
Regards,
Krish