Can we use datastage version control to version shell script

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sushil
Participant

Can we use datastage version control to version shell script

Post by sushil »

Hi,
Can some one please suggest if we can use datastage version control to version shell scripts. If so, how?

Regards
Sushil
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Version Control is used for versoning Datastage jobs and sequence.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Declare a "versioned folder". Place your scripts in there, or place symbolic links to your scripts in there. Version Control can then version the contents of the "versioned folder".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The scripts will either need to be in a folder in your Project, or you'll need to create a link from it into the Project. Then yes.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I have used it to control shell scripts and I think it works very well. It is a lot safer then hoping that developers remember to ftp the right scripts between envs. Read the vc manual section on custom folders. I believe it can control any type of file in that directory including programs.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You're probably right, Vince... but that wasn't true at first. :wink:

The first version that I used it with 'Custom Folders', back in the 4.x or 5.x days, had an interesting little bug. You would initialize a script and in the process VC would basically hork it up. You see, it insisted on writing back to the object being initialized the VC tags and change description as if it was a job and it was in the Long Description. Problem is it wasn't and what it wrote into our scripts wasn't exactly valid korn shell syntax. :lol:

Needless to say, it was quickly patched when reported as it was easily reproducible.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

The "how" has certainly been answered but the "Why" has been bugging me. Has the company you are with spent money for EE and yet does not have a solution for Change/Version Control for other non-EE software? Wow! It seems to me that using The "Hammer" Websphere product as a Change Control tool (screwdriver) is nuts unless you have nothing else. It IS better than nothing. But hold on! How do you Change Control DataStage with a third party product? You don't. So that's the Catch-22.

The rumor I heard that at some point DataStage will integrate with ClearCase. Can anyone say that IBM is spending any money maintaining DS Version Control?
djoni
Participant

Re: Can we use datastage version control to version shell sc

Post by djoni »

I guess you have a chance. Version Control has something called Custom Folder. I have not tried, but look at the following, from the Version Contol manual:

Using Custom Folders
Many development projects which use DataStage for extraction, transformation and loading (ETL) also incorporate other project related files which are not part of the DataStage repository. These files may contain DDL scripts or other resource data. Version Control can process these ASCII files in the same way as it processes DataStage components.

Good luck.
sushil wrote:Hi,
Can some one please suggest if we can use datastage version control to version shell scripts. If so, how?

Regards
Sushil
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

trobinson wrote:Has the company you are with spent money for EE and yet does not have a solution for Change/Version Control for other non-EE software?
Yes! All the time! DataStagers are usually on specific project teams with a standalone server setup with just DataStage software. On a lot of these projects no one spends the time get non DataStage software up and running such as the corporations standard change/version control software. ETL developers plunge into development writing scripts as they go. They are often contractors or consultants who don't know the non-DataStage development standards and they get left alone to do their job.