SEQUENTIAL FILE STAGE - GETTING STUCK :-(

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ushasunkara
Participant

SEQUENTIAL FILE STAGE - GETTING STUCK :-(

Post by ushasunkara »

Hi all,

We are using DS Parallel 7.5.1.A

when i create a new job with a SEQUENTIAL FILE STAGE or even try to open an existing job - all other stages are working fine - but when i double click the Seq file stage - the whole Designer jus hangs - it doesnt even open...(and i've to kill it thru Windows Task manager)
When i tried doing the same thing as a Server job - it works fine...but i need to work on a Parallel job...

[the new job doesnt even contain data - it hangs at the starting step only - only seq file stage --> transformer, when i try to open seq file stage for even giving the file name - it doesn't open - It JUST HANGS!!!)

this happened last week - when we tried to re-install the client - we did everything (cleaning registry keys and installing it again)...but didnt work, at last one of our IT helpdesk person re-created my Windows profile (of my machine) and I re-installed the client - it started working...but alas...only for a week, again since today mrng - the same issue is being repeated.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it something to do with my System files? or the Designer??? This is happening only in my Parallel jobs....

And a very imp point...when i try to open my jobs on my colleague's m/c with my own id - im able to access that stage - but when i try to do it on my m/c with my id as well as my colleague's id - all other stages, manager,director everything work....except just this SEQUENTIAL FILE STAGE.....(already checked out the files and profiled thru Dependency Walker for both mine and my colleague's m/cs)

Please let me know, if i need to change somefiles or something...Because of this i'm not able to do any of my work (all my jobs - have atleast one sequential file stage :cry: )

thank u so much...
Usha
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

What is the size of the file that you are trying to open. If the file is too big then its not a good idea to open it from the stage.
Also check your file size limit set on your account.
a.k.a ULIMIT.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ushasunkara
Participant

Post by ushasunkara »

thanks for the reply....

but
I've not even given the filename...
Even to give the filename - double clicking on the stage to open the stage's window - it s getting stuck there...at this point - the whole Designer hangs...which i had to kill thru TaskManager.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Usha, the problem is odd from your explanation; meaning that even though you have reinstalled DS on your workstation the error persists. Did you actually un-install your software and then re-install it or just overwrite the existing installation - if the latter then try a clean install by deleting the old version first.

Also, do you have the deadlock daemon running on your engine and if not, get it running just to be on the safe side. If this is a lightly used server then one suggestion is to stop and start DataStage if your deadlock daemon is not running - you might conceivably have some errant lock set in your engine which is causing your process to hang.

You can get your workstation to hang and then identify the associated unix process (this would be a dsapi_slave with your userid) and try doing a "truss -p {pid}" on it and seeing if you can identify any system calls. If you see something like "_select" in there you probably do have a lock.

I have left this post as a visible one, but remember that as a non-charter member you would normally not see responses like this one.

Is this problem only happening to your user id or at anyone logging into your workstation then you should re-install your client.
ushasunkara
Participant

Post by ushasunkara »

Yes ArndW....

i uninstalled the client - removed all registry keys...in Sys

and again re-installed it...

but nothing worked....

We've opened a ticket with IBM last week when this first happened - they also suggested the same thing, and walked over all the steps - and i did everything for 2days - but when nothing got fixed - as i told u - one of our IT help desk re-created my windows profile and as usual we re-installed the client again, then it started working normally, and now again this problem started since today mrng....

Since 2months ive been using the same system and Designer - everything worked fine....

:roll:
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I had something similar happen with my workstation and it turned out that the automatic software update package had kicked in overnight and installed some package which had messed up my libraries on my PC. Please post your answers once you get them sorted out so that others can benefit from your pains.
ushasunkara
Participant

Post by ushasunkara »

Im sorrry ArndW - but i cannot see the full reply....

And as far as i know i dont ve any automatic updates -
anyways, how did u resolve it? do we have to look up for some extra files and delete them or reimage my system again???

thank u for ur response...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is your client Windows XP SP2? If so, you might need a patch from the DataStage vendor.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If so, you will need the patch. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Is that patch unique to 7.5.1A or does 7.5.2 need it as well? Some of our clients are on W2000 and some are on XP. My machine is on XP SP1, but I would not be surprised if we get bumped up to SP2 in the near future. If 7.5.2 als has this issue, I need to warn our Infrastructure and Network groups prior to the upgrade.

Thanks for the info!

Brad.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The patch is pretty well version agnostic. I think all versions up to 7.5.1A need the patch, no clue on 7.5.2 but it couldn't hurt to err on the side of caution.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers