NULL value handling in Transformer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

forboy
Participant

Re: NULL value handling in Transformer

Post by forboy »

Yes,

Columns must be checked for isNull function before checking to another value. I did many complex calculations in the transformer and experienced the same thing.

One more thing null values can not be assigned to the stage variables in PX.

forboy
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

Most code is sensitive about NULLS. A NULL means "NOTHING". You cannot compare something to nothing therefore an IF will not work on a NULL value in a field. This is why we have NULL Processing functions.
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

You can always compare a set of something to a set of nothing. What is tough is comparing a set of something to a set of something that is unknown. That will throw ya.

A set of something other than nothing is never equal to the set of nothing. They are mathematically different.

Anyways, in relational databases a NULL does not mean nothing. It means unknown. In relation databases, a zero or zero length string typically means nothing.

I wish that datastage operated like most Enterprise class database systems any other system for that matter that follows ANSI-92 standards for NULL handling.

I believe they are:
1. When a NULL is encountered in a calculation and it is not mapped to something known with ISNULL, NULLIF, IFNULL that the calculation should return NULL.

2. Booleans checks can only be stepped into if the condition/state evaluates as true. With NULLS they are are 3 states.
TRUE, FALSE, UNKNOWN.

Use #1 as well as these rules to determine states.
NOT(TRUE) = FALSE
NOT(FALSE) = TRUE
NOT(UNKNOWN) = UNKNOWN

TRUE AND FALSE = FALSE
TRUE AND UNKNOWN = UNKNOWN
FALSE AND UNKNOWN = FALSE
FALSE AND FALSE = FALSE
UNKNOWN AND UNKNOWN = UNKNOWN

TRUE OR FALSE = TRUE
TRUE OR UNKNOWN = TRUE
FALSE OR UNKNOWN = UNKNOWN
FALSE OR FALSE = FALSE