Datastage warning

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage warning

Post by seanc217 »

I have read through previous posts for this but I don't understand why I am getting this warning.

I have a job,

sequential file->surrogate key generator -> Oracle Enterprise.

In the sequential file I have 2 fields relationship_code and relationship_description, In the surrogate key stage I define a field called rela_key which is an integer.

When I run the job I get the following warnings:

Oracle_Enterprise_1: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "RELA_KEY": "null_field" length (0) must match field's fixed width (40)

Oracle_Enterprise_1: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "RELA_KEY": Exporting a fixed length field with a "null_field" of length 0 will prohibit a re-import of this field

Thanks
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

PX is very persnickety when it comes to datatypes and null handling. It looks like RELA_KEY has been defined as a fixed width field but the null handling for this field is not of the same fixed width. It is of width 0. Check either the properties for this particular field or the format tab of the Oracle stage to reconcile the input field definition with the output definition.
seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by seanc217 »

Where can I change the format for this field? The field RELA_KEY is created in the surrogate key generator stage. In Oracle there is nowhere to change the field properties for null

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

The feild REL_KEY might not be having any lenght assisgned to it. Its better to pass it from a Trasformer and then to an OCI stage.
Check the results in a peek stage.
Make sure the Datatype matches the target column for the REL_KEY.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by seanc217 »

I tried passing to a transformer, then to the Oracle Enterprise stage with no luck. I really don't want to use the OCI stage.

Thanks
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

I'm guessing there are two ways to set this property for the field. Both are from the columns tab. Highlight an entire row in the columns grid and double click. This will bring you to the properties screen. Set Null handling from there.
OR
Right click on the REL_KEY field select properties. Select the column that isn't checked. I think it too is called properties. Set null handling from there.
This is not unique to the OCI stage. It is common to PX. You need to learn to love the OCI stage. It is your friend.