version control numbering

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

djoni
Participant

version control numbering

Post by djoni »

Can anybody who has used Version Control give me an idea with respect to the release numbering, what changes should be considered as minor and what major?
Thanks, djoni
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The major number reflects the version of DataStage. The minor number is the number of times the component has been released/promoted. The point number is yours to do with as you wish. If the point number has been incremented, Version Control does not automatically increment the minor number.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

Understood and thanks. But you have not given any idea as I asked. Anything further, please?
djoni
ray.wurlod wrote:The major number reflects the version of DataStage. The minor number is the number of times the component has been released/promoted. The point number is yours to do with as you wish. If the point ...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's entirely your choice. It depends a lot on what you do with the product, and how you do it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

lack of specific DataStage guide/standard/best practise, my company has decided to specify major if any change/maintenance needs more than 90 man-days of effort (that's the second part of the Version Control's three parts numbering scheme), and minor (the last/third part) to anything else.
djoni
ray.wurlod wrote:That's entirely your choice. It depends a lot on what you do with the product, and how you do it.
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

I might have a different Version Control than yours.
In the Version Control that I use (comes in my 7.1.5.A), the release/version number has three parts.
The first one (leftmost) is fixed by IBM (in my case it's 50) for all my jobs/components, I can never change.
The second (middle) is what the manual calls major. The last, minor.
We can control the major and minor.
djoni
ray.wurlod wrote:The major number reflects the version of DataStage. The minor number is the number of times the component has been released/promoted. The point number is yours to do with as you wish. If the point ...
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Please see if This Post helps
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org