CheckSum in PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Titto
Participant

CheckSum in PX

Post by Titto »

Hi,
can we use CheckSum in PX environment ?
may be a dumb question - when i tried in PX job it says function not there, but tried search in PX message board i found 3 hits.

thanks
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Let us know what you find out.

I have only used PX. I know what a checksum is but have never used it in DataStage. You have used in Server? How does it work? Does it do a checksum per record? Does it require the layout of the record to be defined or can it do it against a raw datatype?

Just yesterday I was asked about checksum, so if it is available in PX, we may be able to take advantage of it.

Brad.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Checksum() is a BASIC function, so not directly available in parallel jobs.

You can access it via a BASIC Transformer stage in a parallel job, with the concomitant overheads of data type translation that this incurs.

You could also access it via server job componentry in a server shared container that had been used in the parallel job, with even greater overheads, such as execution only on the DataStage server machine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.