Pivot stage in parellel mode.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Madhu1981
Participant

Pivot stage in parellel mode.

Post by Madhu1981 »

Hi,

I am using pivot stage in my job. The pivot runs in sequential mode as default.

If i cahnge it to parallel, will my functinality affects or not. Shall i change it to parallel.

My Functionality is :

I am getting four fields from pivot input and writting one filed in pivot output.

Kindly help me.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

As long as the partition is based on the all the key mentioned in the PIVOT the functionality will not be affected in parallel operation.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This is a very basic PX type question that we cannot answer for you. If the pivot can be done within the datasets in each processing node then you should be able to work in parallel. You should try it and see if it works and perhaps provide some feedback to the forum when you've finished.

I looked into the documentation on my PC with 7.5.2 and couldn't find the PIVOT stage documented for PX! I don't know if I might have deleted it by mistake.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Since pivot stage is completely positional, I dont think it would even give any edge on performance also. Have experience really bad performance with large amount of data when pivoting.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Also depends on the number of column getting pivoted.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not so. The only difference for execution mode is that, for parallel mode, you must partition (and, ideally, sort) on all pivot key columns. For sequential mode, since all rows are in the same partition, this is not necessary, through sorting is still beneficial.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.